Nforce 2 USB problems

Guest itti

Hi,

i switched to a nforce 2 board last month. now my usb mouse works only for a few minutes after boot, then it gets deactivated (red light goes dark). i played around with usbmouse and usb-ohci modules but couldn´t reactivate the mouse. usbcore and input modules can´t be removed because "device is in use" :?

The Board is an Gigabayte GA7N400Pro with Nforce 2 400 Chipset. I had this problem with 9.1 and in 9.2 it´s still there. Even installing the Nforce drivers from Nvidia hasn´t changed anything (theese are only modified realtek drivers i think)... what can i do? without mouse it´s impossible to use.

Maybe it's a bios issue? Have you gotten the newest bios from gigabyte yet?

Or maybe it's a kernel issue, I mean Mandrake 9.1 have 2 kernel updates in the 6 months since it has been released.

I mean I have an Nforce2 MB (Epox 8rda+) and I haven't gotten any problem with USB mousing.

I have a mobo which needs nForce, the Asus A7N266VM, and it provides 2 USB ports on the back, and two more headers on the mobo to connect 4 more.

Internally they are actually 2 blocks of 3 USB ports.

One of these blocks (which includes the 2 "default" ports) actually causes the computer to freeze under Mandrake 9.1 when you plug a peripheral into it. It does not freeze under Windows. (Though it is generally unstable under Windows and, to say the least quirky under Linux. And yes, I have updated the BIOS.)

Due to this and other niggles with with it (when you have an ethernet internet connection the system regularly freezes for short periods, resulting in sounds breaking up and a staccato movement of the mouse across the screen), my next mobo will NOT have an nForce chipset.

On the other hand, I have had no problems with the nVidia graphics modules so I will consider an nVidia video card.

On the question of whether you should use a USB mouse, I admit to using the occasional DOS program, which requires a PS/2 or USB mouse for it to work. That is only a small disadvantage of a USB mouse, but I cannot think of any advantage: I would have thought that the answer is therefore obvious.

unplugging the mouse and putting it back in doesn´t help.

dmesg says "newly plugged in device isn´t accepting adress bla bla"

i can´t use the ps/2 adapter for my microsoft (yes yes) optical wheel mouse. the little red light won´t go off if i turn off the computer.

i tried disabling USB2.0 via bios. it´s no difference with USB 1.1...

i wonder what causes this problem. no one with nforce 2 seems to have this.

ok i think i fixed it now. instead of putting "acpi=noacpi" in your boot config, you have to click "activate acpi" in the mandrake control center. i thougth it would be activated by default but that wasnt so.

Getting closer.

I was having similar problems and finally fixed it with a kernel recompile. (or 10)

Im now running a modified stock mandrake one

Im presuming you did the mods in /etc/modules.conf ??

Anyway, its working in USB1 and USB2.

I think id practically given up un usb2 ... then recmpiled and got it working and disabled usb1.1 (groan)

If you want the .config I could email it????

Then you could diff it against yours ???