Running things at boot time and login time

Ok, I was lent a toshiba Satellite laptop to play around with and after a couple of days, manage to run mandrake 9.1 in it with acpi and everything. Now I found this utility to make the hotkeys work called fnfx. I tested it and it works, so that's not the problem. This is the problem.

The utility consists of two files, fnfxd and fnfx. fnfxd is the daemon and must be run as root, while the fnfx is the utility and must be run as user. Now when I test the utilities, I have to open two terminals, one login as root to run fnfxd and one login as my user to run fnfx. The thing is, both utilities takes control of that console so I cannot run anything else in that console. I want to run fnfxd at boottime as root and fnfx at login time when the user login. I cannot put fnfxd in /etc/rc.local since it will take control of the entire boot system and won't let go.. hence I cannot login at all, even after using ctrl-alt-F2 or other keys since the computer think that the bootup script is not finished loading. So the question is how do I run fnfxd as root automatically during bootup and still be able to login?

If the problem is hard to picture, then I apologize. It's a lot easier to show it than to describe it in words.

What do you mean by: "it will take control of the entire boot system and won't let go.. hence I cannot login at all, even after using ctrl-alt-F2 or other keys since the computer think that the bootup script is not finished loading"

Does it not fork to the background? You could try

fnfxd &

if that is the case. Same with the client one.

Maybe that is the reason.. It doesn't fork into the background.

Unfortunately a harddrake bug kill the laptop now, I have to reinstall mdk 91 again to try whether your tip works.. I'll let you know in a day or so.

Thanks for the tip.