Internet Sharing and Networking with Mandrake & XP

Guest sniper

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to Mandrake but have had my 2 computers networked together fine when both had XP Pro on them. I decided to put Mandrake 9.2 on one of them (the one with the modem and the direct internet access). I am having tons of problems getting Mandrake to share the internet with my other XP machine or even getting Mandrake to see XP or XP to see Mandrake. I have set the workgroups to the same value on both machines but still no connection is shown between them. Is there a simple guide with some screenshots I can look at that could step me through how to configure Mandrake as the "sharer" and XP Pro as the "receiver"? Thanks everyone again.

I think the explaination to all of this is you tried the Internet Connection Sharing from Mandy.

This uses shorewall, a firewall.

If this is misconfigured then your connections between 2 machines will neverwork.

You can stop the firewall and test with

shorewall stop.

I don't know if any ocumentation exists for the wizard (apart from the source code) but the Shorewall documentation wil be meaningless to the Mandrake setup.

Try stopping the firewall and see if you can connect the two machines.

B4 I had broadband/router for 2 machines, I successfully had a dialup modem, ML9.1 as the gateway/firewall, and Win2k accessing the internet through eth's, but the only way I got it to work was with static ip's>mcc>Network & Internet>DrakGW. It worked in reverse as well. I never got samba/linneighborhood to work :roll: :oops: . I haven't tried samba with dhcp/router, ML9.2 yet.

If you have two NIC's the easiest way is the quickstart files on the shorewall site.

However, the sharing etc. through one adaptor is one of those things.

It really shouldn't work (I know MS do it) but it onvolves a bit of trickery where you use virtual eth devices (as far as I know)

I'd try reading the shorewall documentation if you wanna do it their way. I can't make head or tail of the Mandy setup, I just gave up on it.

I see a couple replies to my problem but no real solution. So what programs can I try to get this to work? When I do a search on Google I find lots of results and lots of different programs but nothing seems to work right? Why isn't there an easy way to do this? Can somebody just walk me through what I should try to get this to work cuz I'm pretty lost on what to do now...

Thanks.

If you tell us how many network cards!

and a bit more I'm sure we'll suggest something but unless we know exactly what you want its difficult to say what would be the simplest and best.

Try and describe your network and what you want to share, just internet connection of Samba/NFS too.

Guest mrabson

I'm a NewBee. I had two XP boxes. Using MS network wizard thing.

Now one XP and one Mandrake 9.1. Both accessing the net. Yet to set up shares. Hopefully once I have SAMBA running.... I tried accessing through manual config of IPs, no Hub with cross over cable Nic to Nic no joy, with old (USB Alcatel ADSL Frog for the net), nuff said!

Setup

ADSL Modem Gateway Router - Zoom X4 5551. NEW

Hub Netgear - DS104 old

Mandy NIC - SMC 83C170QF, retrieved from a skip

XP NIC - Linksys LNE100TX v4, NEW

Both Boxes connected to Hub ports from NICs. Router connected to Hub on Uplink port (Zoom supplied straight through cable).

Configured XP box first following Modem router instrutions. Gained connection. Installed Mandrake. Ran DrakeConnect. Gained connection. Both boxes run fast. Seemed too easy. :oops: Anyway, a hardware sollution. Good luck :wink:

Sorry I didn't give everyone a good enough detail of what I have. I have one Linksys Hub, a 1200 MHZ Athlon T-Bird (the one with Mandrake & the one with the modem), and a 400 MHZ with XP Pro (the client...or what I want to be the client ;)). The dialup internet goes into the 1200 MHZ's modem and then I have a NIC that is connected to the Hub from the 1200 MHZ and a NIC on the XP machine that is also connected to the hub. I have tried to look through the documentation on Samba.org but being a newbie I found a lot of this confusing. I also found a "Networking Mandrake 9.0 & Windows XP Guide"...I can't remember where but since I have Mandy 9.2 some things were different (i.e. Samba configuration in the Control Panel). Well I hope that helps everyone out with my dilemma. Thanks again.