updating mdk9.2

hirohitosan

Hi there. I found an old laptop, Toshiba Tecra 510. The processor is Pentium I and 144MB memory and 40GB HDD. I succeed to install Mandrake 9.2 on it with X and blackbox as WM. Mdk9.2 has kernel 2.4 . can I update to 2.6.?

It's a minimal install without MCC

I want to install some software through urpmi, how can I add new media since my kernel is 2.4

tahnks

Go to EasyURPMI (links in top/righthand corner of these pages) and use the manual method -- that will give you the urpmi commands to update media which you cut and paste into a terminal (you have to be root). Whether 144 MB RAM is sufficient will be interesting. I have run Xfce as desktop with Pentium II/400 MHz with 192 Mb RAM and that worked. Another option is LXDE -- the new light desktop.

You could try manually compiling your own 2.6 kernel, but I expect you'll have a lot of problems with it. Mandrake/Mandriva always patched their kernels, and I found that when I made my own, things stopped working because I'd compiled a kernel without patches. Of course, who knows what patches were applied :)

I'd say stay with the the 2.4 kernel - I can't see any real benefit you'll get trying to upgrade it to a 2.6 kernel except a big headache.