Enabling Polish language support in PHP

I'm having problems with trying to get Polish language support enabled in PHP. Has anyone any ideas on what's required to get this working?

I've tried setting ISO-8859-2 as well as mbstring settings and still no support for it - I still get weird characters displayed and not what I'm expecting to see :(

Have you tried to narrow down the problem a bit?

- Try a html file from the file system - if this doesn't work it's a HTML or a browser issue. Can you browse other Polish pages?

- Try the same html file through your web server - if this doesn't work then tweak your web server.

- Try a simple bit of PHP in it - if this doesn't work then look at the PHP side.

What are the weird characters displayed, are they pairs of characters instead of single ones?

I don't do programming so a simple bit of PHP would be difficult :D

I managed to narrow it down, I was installing vTiger CRM, and inside the config.inc.php was a parameter to change from ISO-8859-1 to UTF8 and then it worked. Normally when I have to go through this Polish character thing with egroupware or some other thing PHP gives me a headache for the changes - even our company simple webpage which was HTML was problematic, but that was down to Apache settings and it wasn't even reading them correctly at first.

This one is solved now, but it's a bit hit and miss with this foreign language support :)

I do not know exactly what's going on but, once I saw no entries in the configuration

charset utf-8, ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-1

Keyboard layout is compatible only with en_US.

Convinced by this example APODIO which in the original, works only in three languages. French, Spanish and Italian.

For me is a nightmare. How do I enter my password?

All pages display correctly, of course, some not, but because of different track widths.

http://forum.miacms.org/viewtopic.php?id=304

http://www.php.net/

http://osdir.com/ml/php.drupal.support/2003-11/msg00162.html

Edited by Lexicon

This one is solved now, but it's a bit hit and miss with this foreign language support :)

Yes, it's a well known fact that foreign languages are a serious problem for most native English speakers... :P

Add a script on the page indicating that the browser must download the appropriate font in the case of the problem. Learn the language!

Yes, it's a well known fact that foreign languages are a serious problem for most native English speakers... :P

Yeah, tell me about it :) ISO-8859-1 all the way :D

I do not have any other fonts.

fonts-ttf-west_european-1.3-20mdv2009.1

x11-font-encodings-1.0.2-4mdv2009.1

x11-font-bh-75dpi-1.0.0-7mdv2009.1

xorg-x11-75dpi-fonts-7.3-5mdv2009.1

x11-font-bitstream-75dpi-1.0.0-7mdv2009.1

urw-fonts-2.0-23mdv2009.1

x11-font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi-1.0.0-7mdv2009.1

They are created with this package. The whole system change from UTF to ISO immediately after installation. I edit the file i18n,

....:pl_PL:ISO-8859-2 (/etc/sysconfig/i18n)

Executes command as ROOT

LC_ALL=pl_PL:ISO-8859-2

export LANG=pl_PL:ISO-8859-2

......Lex

Edited by Lexicon