Going pure Native boot Linux!

Sarissi

Well, I bought a Maxtor 160 GB ata133 hdd, and it will be delivered tomorrow. This is going to be exclusively my /home partition. It won't take me long to rework my system for this, as I have 4 HDDs now, 2 of which will be reserved for a win98se native boot system for gaming. The remaining 2 HDDs are Maxtor 61 GB ata100, and will be exclusively linux, along with the 160 GB.

What file system is best for a single partition on the 160 GB?? I am thinking of going with reiserfs for everything except the swap partition. If I have to go with something else, please let me know before friday evening! Assuming the hdd arrives tomorrow, the evening will be my system rebuild time. (UPS says it is on time).

Thank you in advance!

Never heard of LVM, Ramfree. Besides I am going to see if this Promise ultra100 PCI EIDE controller works as it is supposed to with mandrake 9.1. That means Mandrake install better not swap the motherboard and promise controllers, where actual hda become hde, and visa versa. This happened to me with mandrake 8.2 (unrecognized chipset - southbridge). Sine the chipset is recognized by 9.1, I have hopes that thing will be fine. I will know as soon as I go to partition the hdds. :D

First I have to tear the system apart for a partial rebuild (moving hdds around). I will be back after I am in pure Mandrake Linux (NO native Windows boot). Now to reboot into win98se and use Partition Commander to redo a couple of things. (mostly deleting ext2 partitions)

See everyone later today (I hope).

I'm back an NO windows partitions! unfortunately, Mandrake likes to put the Promise controller first (eide, but mandrake see it as scsi). The ASRock K7VT2 BIOS sees the promise card and puts it second (after mobo eide controller), where it is supposed to be. Now, this mobo is made by Asus group, which is notorious for things like this. They tweak the bios to make life difficult for anything but windoze and these addon controllers.

I did not have this problem with the Gigabyte mobo I had, this promise controller, and Mandrake. I hope I won't have this problem with my Chaintech mobo.

I tried installing with no promise card, boot, shut down, install promise card, along with the 2 extra hds and burner, and reboot. Unfortunately, the promise card was seen by mandrake as first in sequence. Then I tried installing with everything in place. Reboot: found Lilo with no problem, but hung on unpacking the kernel.

Live and learn. Anyways, this asrock mobo is going to be in my windoze gaming box, after I get the cpu and ram for the chaintech mobo.

I don't have a separate /boot partition. swap uses its own special file system, anyways. I use reiserfs for everything else. Back when I was dual booting with Win98SE, I used System Commander Personal Edition and it only recognized ext2. Same with the version of Partition Commander I have (older version). I always worried about rescueing linux if I had to reinstall Win98SE, so I did it that way (lilo in root superblock). Now I don't have to worry about such things.

Of course, once I got all stable hardware (particularly RAM), I never had a BSOD or needed to reinstall windows.

This is how I have my hard disks partitioned:

hda: (61 gig maxtor)

/ 4 gigs

swap 3 gigs

/tmp 10 gigs

/var 10 gigs

/usr remainder of disk

hdb: (160 gig maxtor)

/home entire disk

hdd: (61 gig maxtor)

/pics 49 percent

/archives 51 percent