No superblock yet mountable?

Urza9814

Ok, so at some point last night my system crashed. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it does that every once in a while, and I haven't yet had time to figure it out (kinda hard to when it only happens once a week or so...). Anyway, I reboot this morning and while running the disk scans it throws the bad superblock error:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Now, it's throwing the error when I try to fsck /dev/sda5, which is an ext3 filesystem mounted as /home. Now, if I try 'mount /dev/sda5' it says that it can't find /dev/sda5 in fstab. But if I do 'mount /home' it works fine. And then I can su to my user and run startx, and at first everything appears fine...but some apps start _really_ slow and appear to freeze - Pidgin, Konqueror, VLC, Kaffeine, and MCC run fine, yet Firefox, Epiphany, World of Warcraft (through Cedega), and Diskdrake won't run.

Anyone got any ideas I can try? It has the feeling of hardware failure to me, but it seems strange that only that partition would fail. My root partition is on the same drive and I have no problems at all with that.

Reboot in init 1 (when grub menu appears, press e and add "1" without the quotes at the end of the commandline), and then from there (as root) run the above comand:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda5

It must NOT be mounted when performing the above filesystem check.

yea, It's using UUIDs.

# Entry for /dev/sda2 :
UUID=61bd293e-345c-11dd-ad0b-259b88ddc9d9 / ext3 relatime 1 1
# Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
UUID=d4c29825-18cd-428d-a49e-06a449a83883 /Backups ext3 relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=35bc3130-345d-11dd-adee-0bdd13b90602 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/fnet jfs relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=FAA03F4AA03F0D1F /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdc5 :
UUID=b714fe21-744b-48f5-8380-c1a5a45e5538 swap swap defaults 0 0

Hmmm... I suspect something changed slightly the harddisk partition table (maybe the windows you're dualbooting? dunno really...) , and now the UUiD's do not match the actual partitions.

Please change it accordingly:

# Entry for /dev/sda2 :
/dev/sda2 / ext3 relatime 1 1
# Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
/dev/sdc1 /Backups ext3 relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
/dev/sda5 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/fnet jfs relatime 1 2
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdc5 :
/dev/sdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0

If you still have problems, you could try again removing the "relatime" optimization switches ( just replace "relatime" with "defaults" )

If you want to keep the UUID entries, run the utility "blkid" and see if the UUID values it returns match the ones in your fstab.

Edited by scarecrow

Huh. Well, I left on friday morning to attend my brother's graduation, so sorry for the late reply, but...:

I left my computer running when I left, just on the command-line, which I probably shouldn't have done, but it worked out. When I got home it was locked up again, so I did a hard reset...and it booted up and is working perfectly. Very strange.

Now I need to get the new 2009 Spring installed and see if that does anything for the locking up. If not I think it's my RAM.

Oh, and the problem couldn't be my Windows partition - I haven't booted that thing in _months_. Actually I'm pretty sure it's been more than a year now. :)

Edited by Urza9814

Could be that you need to pull out the memory, give the contacts a clean and put it back in again - retest and see if you get errors. If you do, and you have one than more memory module installed, you'll have to test them individually and then find out which one is the problem and replace the faulty one accordingly. Or, if both, replace both.

Ok, I ran 40 passes (left it running all day and all night) and got no errors - though I do have it running underclocked, as this was suggested to try to fix any problems I was having. So now I'm running off the 2009 Spring One Live CD, and I'm gonna put it through some stress (Freenet - pretty much crashes it without fail by the end of the night) to hopefully determine if it's hardware or software.