Linux Boots to the command line

Guest Falcon

If the disk read error is not being caused from some spureous issue, then we must assume it is a real problem. Data recorded to a bad sector of the hard drive will never be readable. I suggest a reinstall after thoroughly scanning the drive with a disk utility. Drives with bad sectors are common and usable, as long as no attempt is made to store data in the bad sectors. A utility lables the sectors so that they are not used.

Guest Falcon

Heres the latest:

I erased the existing XConfig files and ran XFdrake. I lowered my reslution to 800x600 @ 60Hz, I chose 8 bit, I also chose Xfree 3.6.6 (instead of 4.0) because my card supports 3D acceleration. I also chose the ATI (Utah) driver instead of the ATI Rage 3D driver, I answered yes to boot automatically into X. I rebooted, got a flashing blue screen for a while and finally the CLI. I then ran startx and I got the first time wizard. I clicked finish once I completed the wizard. From there I have a blue screen, a "watch" cursor and my hard drive is going like crazy. After 20 minutes I realized it wasn't going to do anymore than that and rebooted. After getting the flashing screen again I was taken to the CLI (again) where I again ran startx (again). Same results. I'm thinking my next step is to throw the damn thing out the window.

Falcon