source rpms?

Guest tomasz

what have I to do with source rpms?

for compiling babytrans, a cute, little translation program based on gtk, I needed the GLIB >=1.2.

So, I have downloaded a glib-1.2.10-6mdk.src.rpm and I installed it - but nothing happens!

Again, I have tried to configure babytrans, and again the program complained about a missing GLIB.

So, what should me stupid newbie do with source rpms? Do I have to "rebuild" rhem?

How do I do that?

questions, questions.... :roll:

Thanks in advance,

tomasz

The program is asking for a specific library, which is available in an rpm, glib-1.2.8-2mdk.i586.rpm. Just retrieve and install this rpm.

Or you could issue the command

"rpm --rebuild glib-1.2.10-6mdk.src.rpm" and then install the resulting rpm. "urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm"

You should do all of this as root.

rpm -rebuild is to build an rpm for installation. It's not necessary, but prefered by some, because in some cases rebuilding may enable a feature for your system that's not enabled in the standard rpm, as well as not enable something that could cause a problem. However, I (that I know of) have never experience any diff, so I only rebuild important things that are easy to rebuild and do not have a lot of dependencies (other rpms), like my window mgr (fluxbox) and my graphics card (nvidia).

Also, rpm --rebuild is being replaced with rpmbuild --rebuild, and I have seen a few people not able to use rpm --rebuild, yet had success with rpmbuild --rebuild.

You should read the docs because they explain alot. ( Also, if I tell you something wrong, you'll spot it!)

An rpm is a package of software. If what you have is package.number.type.rpm, it is ready for installation. But if you have a file that ends with ---.src.rpm, then this is a package that is designed to be "rebuilt" on your own computer. After rebuilding, the package issues an rpm to the destination I described. After that, you're simply installing the custom built rpm.

I keep forgetting about rpmbuild, but you should use this one. At least I am using urpmi instead of rpm -i !