perl

kilimanjaro

OK I think I have the right perl, and I have read theough the readme file it talks about installation, but it is assuming that I know things that I don't, in fact it kind of say that

2. How to install it?

PUA comes with an out-of-the-box installation setup. All you have to do

is the USUAL

perl Makefile.PL

make

make test

make install

I opened a terminal in the directory, but it said I had an error, no such file or directory <Makefile.PL>

So what am I doing wrong?[/u]

Just wanted to suggest trying eDonkey or Overnet instead. You could be downloading instead of trying to work out mldonkey's problems (which I hear are more than just the install)

http://www.edonkey2000.com/downloads.php

You will need 2 files:

Command Line Client (v0.50.1)

and the Core Controller

Once installed you need to start the first time via konsole with "ed2k_gui"

Help me scoopy!!!!!!

Every time I try to install a tar.gz I have problems.

I just tried to install overnet. I read the readme and I did what it said and it won't install.

What am I doing wrong. gtk-gnutella, openoffice, mldonkey, audacity all of them I have had problems and so far t5he only one that has installed correctly is audacity..

I get soooo frustrated, that I contemplate re-installing windoze.

Help me before I do the unspeakable!

The tar.gz file should unpack the following files into a overnet folder in your home folder, such as:

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/incoming

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/temp

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/contact.dat

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/donkey0.50.1

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/friend.met

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/known.met

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/log.txt

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/overnet0.50.1

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/pref.met

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/README

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/server.met

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/share.dat

file:/home/scoopy/overnet/uploadq.dat

NOTE: a couple of these were added automatically on first run.

The command line client is available as a rpm file, which you should be able to double click to install.

Once the above is accomplished, open up a term or konsole and type in:

ed2k_gui

This should get things going and bring up a connect window:

Fill in host as "localhost"

core port: 4262 (or something that is available on your network)

your username and password

path: /home/kilimanjaro/overnet/overnet0.50.1

Then click on "spawn core" and after a couple seconds it should say it is running running.

Then click "GO" and you should be up and running.

Any problems, let us know, OK? Hope this helps you. :D

Cool, looks like we are almost there. 8)

Your host is the IP address of the machine you are running. Let's not worry about the technical stuff behind this at this time. If your running Mandrake and can surf the net, the default setup will work here (unless your setup is configured differently and then you would most likely know what to put here). That line should like like this:

localhost

One word, No quotes or other punctuation.

The username and password here is just for this application. It has nothing to do with anything else. Your username will show to other users downloading from your shares.

Hey scoopy!

well it is running, but I have no idea what it is doing or how to use it. I tried to do a search

How do I set which file I want my donwloadfs to go to and uploads to come from?

Supposedly it is searching, but it isn't showing any activity of results. This seems to be the same thing I had going on with gnutella.

it is saying that there nobody connected to the server, what ever that means.

I am using guarddog...do I have to configure the protocols to allow it to access the net?

AND... do you know how to add the gui to my networking menu in fluxbox? I also need to change to the newest version of openoffice.

Allright!

As with any p2p app, you will want to be sure that port is open thru your firewall... if you expect to get any decent download speed. I am not familiar with guarddog, but try to allow that port (4262) through.

I am not at my machine now, but will post more info later tonight.

hello scoopy

I am having problems with the gui connecting to the core. I t keeps timing out.

the oproblem seems to be with the ports. I had to disable guarddog to get it to connect.

I am have problems with it. I don't know enough about ports and protocols to set it up right, I think it is the reason I was having problems with gnutella.

mystified helped me figure out the menudrake so I hvae these new programs on my menu.

I have another question. If I were in a terminal as root and I typed urpmi gtk-gnutella, what would you expect to happen?

Also how do I change it so when I typr urpmi update that it seeks the updates at plf and texstar ?

I  am having problems with the gui connecting to the core.  It keeps timing out.

the problem seems to be with the ports.  I had to disable guarddog to get it to connect.

Overnet or any other p2p app needs an open port to work smoothly. Would need more info on your setup... such as if your running dial-up or cable? Router? Maybe someone else can answer how to open or forward a port through guarddog? Leave it running for a few minutes and then see if you can search for things. Maybe add a directory (right click in the left column under the shared tab) It should still work, but will report that you are firewalled. Here's two good sites for info:

http://www.edonkey2000.com/documentation/c.../clientfaq.html

and

http://forums.edonkey2000.com/phpBB/index.php

mystified helped me figure out the menudrake.

She's great, isn't she (Yes, my arm was twisted to respond that way :lol: )

I have another question.  If I were in a terminal as root and I typed urpmi gtk-gnutella,  what would you expect to happen?

let's see:

[root@localhost scoopy]# urpmi gtk-gnutella

no package named gtk-gnutella

I guess that means that package is not available... according to the sources I have configured. But I see by your next question you already know where to find it and if you add it to your sources, it will produce a different result the next time I try that.

Also how do I change it so when I type urpmi update that it seeks the updates at plf and texstar ?

Go here and fill in the blanks:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

It will spit out the exact line(s) to enter to add these sources. Hey, our ftp site is in there too! 8)

mldonkey make a hidden map in your /homedir

Huh :?: I heard mldonkey was evil and supposedly hurt the sharing community, but what is this hidden map ??? Sure it is not a hidden folder, such as:

/home/scoopy/.mldonkey

EDIT: Skywalker sent me pm confirming he did mean to say "hidden folder." My intentions were not to make fun of his English, but thought maybe he meant something else, such as spyware or trojan.