Mandrake 9.2 with NFORCE2?

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Guest Jw_Leonhart

I am using Mandrake 9.2 (just did clean install) and it found my network adapter (Nforce2 MCP Ethernet Adapter) and for some reason I can't figure out how to configure it so I can connect to the internet? Could someone help me to figure this out!?

more info needed: is your network DHCP? are you on broadband w/a cable/dsl modem?

the easiest thing to do is start up Mandrake Control Center, go to Internet, and startup the connection wizard...

i think i might be having the same problem....

using the wizard in drakconnect, it finds the network controller and acknowledges its nvidia hardware, but after i've finished the wizard the interface doesn't appear in drakconnect. its there but its not.

I have installed the RPM from Nvidia's site.

Another problem.... i have a speedtouch 330 adsl modem...

i've found the mgmt.o file from the net and put it in /usr/share/speedtouch/ then ran the wizard to configure the connection.

It then won't then connect and pressing the connect button in drakconnect does nothing, what am i doing wrong?

any help is very much appreciated,

fissy

The nforce2 chipset is too new to be incorporated in Mandrake, even 9.2 I think.

It consists of 2 driver files,

nvnet.o and nvaudio.o

You can either ....

Download the source from nvidia and compile yourself or download the rpm (new)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_...e_1.0-0261.html

I don't know if the RPM is K7 optimised or not but since the chipset only supports K7 it seems silly not to.

I was recompiling a kernel anyway and compiled from source but try the rpm's

i downloaded the rpms and they had "athlon" in the title suggesting they're optimised for K7.

i say again though... they didn't work.

i'm using 9.2rc2 and installed the rpm by double clicking on it. I can't remember what version the rpm was for, could it be that its meant for a different kernel version than 9.2, should that make a difference in this case?

Probably wrong kernel BUT

All is not lost.

If your pretty close in kernel version (i.e. both 2.4.8) but just a few mods different the modules are unlikely to be any different.

You can probably copy them from the /lib/modules/.... directory of the one they were installed in to the directory of your corresponding kernel and they should work !!!

Did you follow all the text? You can't just double click to install, you have to edit the dependencies by hand.

I took a quick look at the rom last night and it copies the readme's to the /usr/share/doc tree under NVIDIA or something.

Since your kernel tree is slightly different in directory structure it won't be able to find them so you need to replace the instances of the stock MDK9.1 kernel with your's.

Read the documentation then get back if you have problems.

On the Nvidia websight, there are .run files. If you download the A32 .run file, and follow the instructions, you will get a driver built on your machine for your kernel, and a glx for 3d. It has been simplified since the days of rebuilding from source. On our download sight, (link at top) you will also find the .run file. I have 9.2rc2 running 3d just fine with my nvidia card!

Ixthusdan: The problem is concerned with installing the nforce drivers for network and sound, not the graphics drivers.

From there you probably are best rebuilding the src rpm (bottom of the nforce download pagge) as an rpm for your distro and installing that.

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Yes we got it all figure out... I think. I am at school right now and when I get home I am gonna try and find out if it works good. I think my hard drive I installed Linux on is now starting to fail now. I have a backup but then unfortunatly everything I have done on linux goes bye-bye. Anyone know how to do a direct copy from one hard drive to another for linux?