Problems with dial-up connection

dcook32p

I have an external US Robotics v.92 modem connected to COM1. It works fine in Windows XP.

When I install Mandrake Linux 9.1, I set up my dial-up connection in the network configuration settings. It detects my NIC, but it is not plugged in to any network. I disable it.

When I tell the installer to check for updates, it can dial out to my ISP. However, it always disconnects within a few seconds.

When I boot into my shiny new copy of Mandrake, I look for a way to connect to the Internet. Eventually, I stumble upon the network configuration tool in the control center. It tests my existing connection (which isn't up), and I choose to dial it. I get an error that says /dev/modem is busy.

I bring up a console, and I try using wvdial - same problem. I reset the computer and the modem. I still have the same problem. I later re-installed Mandrake, and I chose not to search for updates. I could then connect to the Internet from the control center, but I could only do it once. While I was connected nothing could access the Internet, but there was a connection icon docked in my tray. I disconnected. Later, I tried to reconnect and I got the error about /dev/modem being busy again.

So it's a one hit wonder.

How should I fix this problem? Do you need more information?

I appreciate any help that you can provide me.

Welcome!

So, you've set up a connection via the Mandrake Control Center (mcc)>Network>DrakConnect? It connected but you couldn't browse? Did you notice when you said to acually connect if it brought up a window to really connect that said Kppp in the titlebar?

Open a terminal (konsole, xterm, rxvt) and su to root;

su <Enter>

type_roots_password <Enter>

file /dev/modem (what does it say?...symbolic link to ttyS0? Should.)

then run;

kppp

and configure a new account with the modem pointing to /dev/ttyS0. This is as root and you'll have to do it again later for your user account but it's just to be sure and get past any possible user issues with pppd/firewall etc...which is rare now days.

Do you have the firewall enabled? Disable for now in mcc>System>DrakXServices>shorewall [stop]

file /dev/modem (what does it say?...symbolic link to ttyS0? Should.)

/dev/modem: symbolic link to /dev/tts/0

My problem is solved, I think. I haven't rebooted yet (crosses fingers), but I'm typing this from Konqueror. :D

The solution? Don't use DrakConnect. It appears that everytime I ran DrakConnect after the initial configuration of the connection it would *DELETE* /dev/modem (gasp!). Could I have found a bug?

Yes;

/dev/modem: symbolic link to /dev/tts/0

is correct for serial :oops: ...forgot :wink:

Bug? well, if you get the updates for all the drak-stuff like drakconf, draktools etc....then maybe?....I've heard the 'delete' issue of some sort many times though. I use wvdial and don't worry about it.....until this Saturday when my broadband gets hooked up 8) . Kppp is good also.

Same problem I found last night. Trying to change eth0 to DHCP... bah, there goes the modem. Recreated symbolic link to /dev/modem/ but also had to chnage (in KPPP) ppp authentication to PAP/CHAP because MCC had changed it to script... I was getting pppd daemon died unexpectedly, error 16. It was getting connect, then pppd would die...

Very frustrating, not a great fan of mandrake control centre at all!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all here. It worked in mine. (Mandy8.1)

About a month ago, after almost two years I had finally gotten everything working; net and netsharing with the windoze machines using MCC. For some idiot reason I felt cocky and had downloaded some updates for it and the new iptables sent it down the toilet. (again)

Long story short, I got so pissed I reinstalled hoping that it would work right again. NOT!!

I didn't have to change the authentication protocol but I did change the device from /dev/modem to ttyS0. (I'm still not clear on making symlinks, yet.) There is no /dev/modem directory at this time and it's not showing in Hardrake either.

At this point, it is working. but I still want to find out how to do this in a console.

And never use MCC for networking again.

later

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may be having the same problem.

I could not get a WinModem to work so I got an external modem. I can connect to my ISP but I can't view anyything, it's as if my modem is not connected.

I noticed that /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS0 both (when I use Setup in Kppp and query the modem) show the modem as active, but no others ttyS1, ttyS2..etc. I didn't know what that meant. So I hope this solves my problem...going to check now and see...