Mandrake compatible with NVIDIA?

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Guest Jw_Leonhart

I am currently running an NForce2 board from Asus and the intergrated NVidia Soundstorm audio and the NVidia network card on the board aren't recognized by Linux... could someone give me a short step-by-step on how to install this? I am very new to linux, thanks.

My main priority is to get the network up and running.

It's in the faq's, but nvidia has linux drivers at their website. it is supported, but not as open source, so the drivers must be obtained through nvidia or by a mandrake purchased set.

I think JW_Leonheart is talking about NForce driver, not NVIDIA graphics driver.

You need to download the NForce driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_...e_1.0-0261.html (I don't think the NForce driver is available in our ftp site yet). If you update your mandrake kernel, you have to download the source driver located at the bottom.

Then you need to login as root (via su), make sure that kernel-source rpm is installed (rpm -qa|grep kernel-source) then rebuild the NForce source driver (rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm) then install the driver (rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_nforce*.rpm).

At least networking should be working if you just load the module (modprobe nvnet). As of this time, soundstorm is not supported but you can get at least 2 speaker support. I heard that Asus uses a different chipset to get soundstorm but the nforce driver should support Asus mb.

Hope it works.