GIGANTIC NEW PROBLEM!!!!! system won't boot! help!?!?!?!?

VeeDubb

Okay, first let me say that I'm using a second hand motherboard that was believed to be dead when it was given to me and a 5 year old hard drive, so two of my biggest pieces of hardware are always suspect.

I have recently re-installed mandrake, and just today, I finaly felt that I was done. I had al the software I wanted installed, my new CD burner working flawlessly, I even got Tribes2 working whitch was a HUGE milestone for me. Everything customized but the kernel.

This evening I booted up with the intent of starting a kernel compile, only to find that my system will not boot at all. It gets to the point that says "INIT: version 2.84 booting and then I get the following message. (Or something very much like it)

Entering run level 5

INIT:  can not execute /etc/rc.d

INIT: ID "1" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

INIT: ID "2" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

INIT: ID "3" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

INIT: ID "4" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

INIT: ID "5" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

INIT: ID "6" responding too fast  Dissableing for 5 minutes

This mesage repeats every five minutes indefinately.

Because my hardware 'was' all working great, I removed all of the boot options from /etc/lilo.conf except the default one a couple days ago, so there is no fail safe or non-fb option.

I can still boot my computer with my knoppix CD, but that is only a temporary fix at best.

I reboted many times today without trouble, but I left it off for a couple hours and cam eback after dinner to find a system that would not boot.

I CAN use the recovery console to mount my partitions and everything seems readeable. Also, I tried to reset the bios t the failsafe defaults but it had no effect. Where on earth should I begin???

I suspect the hard drive. The conputer runs fine after you give it good data, e.g., fron the boot devices other than your hard drive. So, ram and chipset are least suspicious. Do you have any maintenance utilities with which you can run diagnostics on the hard drive?

I would suspect a hardware problem too. Download the disk utility from the manufacturer's website and run the diagnostics on the hard drive. If that checks out OK, I would suspect either the power supply or the ram. Ram can be checked with memtest which can be downloaded here:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Unless you have some special test equipment the only way to check out a psu is by replacement. Erratic problems like yours are almost always due to the psu or ram if it's a hardware problem. Also, if you've been poking around in your box lately, check your cabling for everything on the ide bus, especially the hard drive.

You might want to post your hardware as well. If you are dual booting, are you getting any problems in windows, particularly I/O problems with the hard drive?

Edit: I did some quick googling with "linux init id responding too fast" and saw a bunch of people with similar problems so it may not be a hardware problem after all. No consistent answer to the problem but one person reported that changing from lilo to grub corrected the problem.

My first thought was the HD, but then I remembered some of my recent experiences. I'd strongly advise you doing a memory test before being sure it is the HD. I had similar problems - refusal to boot but could boot find from Knoppix etc., heck I even had massive file system corruption, everything seemed to point to the HD - and in my case it turned out to to be the memory (found this out after replacing my HD *twice* >_<) It'd probably end up being the HD, but a memory test is easy to do and at least it'll rule one thing out.

I think that it is either the memory o the mobo. I told you about the mobo and the nic builtintno the mobo stopped working a couple weeks ago, and I just dissable it and kep going.

The memory is also used, i pilfered it out of my dad's computer.

I'm relatively certai it isn't the HD now as the partitions are all mountable in knoppx without errors.