Help upgrade from 8.1 to 9.1!

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Hello, I just upgraded from Mandrake 8.1 to 9.1. I get several errors when trying to run linux. For HDE and HDG it says "lost interrupt". After about 3 tries on each and 5 minutes spent it finally detects them and moves on. It does the same for my external CD-writer which is using SCSI... takes that about 5 minutes too.

Once it gets past all that it will finally give me a Linux screen (looks something like dos) and asks me for login. So I type in Root, then it asks for password and I type that in. Now I tried typing in DIR (not knowing any linux commands) and it gives me about 5 files... is this right?

Also, when I boot up it will only get to the DOS looking screen if I use "Linux-up", if I try to boot normal Linux it won't get past the HDE part.

Could someone help me to get Linux running properly?

I am using the following hardware:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Nforce2)

Geforce4 Ti4200 8x AGP

Promise SCSI card, with external CD-writer and internal CD-writer connected

Promise RAID on striping (these drives are used in Windows XP only, and Linux doesn't seem to even care about them... doesn't recognize them and doesn't do anything about it)

Also, my network adapter and sound card cannot be found.. they are both onboard. Please someone help, I need to get this working.

I am very new at this so everything needs to be described in detail. Thank you.

Did you choose 'Upgrade' or 'Install'? 'Upgrade' is broken in 9.1...don't know of anyone that's gotten it to work. If you created a regular user (not root), then log in at the console with that user instead. Then type

startx

and see what happens. By the way, the command 'ls' (without the quotes....lowercase L and lowercase S) is the equivalent of DOS's 'dir', but I believe there's an alias for dir in /etc/profile.d/alias.sh, so it does the same thing. If you logged in as root and did 'dir' then you should see very few files/directories....you are in root's home directory, which is /root.

We'll just stick with trying to get X started first, then work out your other problems afterwards.

Guest Jw_Leonhart

I don't understand what you mean by it is broken? I have 8.1 gaming edition which came with alot of nice extras... I would like to be able to keep them somehow, and still have 9.1 because 8.1 doesn't work that well with my new system... I'm kind of confused with this whole thing... one reason I stuck with Windows since 1991.

Did you choose 'Upgrade' or 'Install'? 'Upgrade' is broken in 9.1...don't know of anyone that's gotten it to work.  

yup. i've gotten it to work. upgrade was from 9.0 to 9.1 so upgrade isn't broken. it just has degrees of working. the more recent the distro the better the upgrade (i would assume since it worked well w/ 9.0 -> 9.1).

If you created a regular user (not root), then log in at the console with that user instead. Then type

startx

and see what happens. By the way, the command 'ls' (without the quotes....lowercase L and lowercase S) is the equivalent of DOS's 'dir', but I believe there's an alias for dir in /etc/profile.d/alias.sh, so it does the same thing. If you logged in as root and did 'dir' then you should see very few files/directories....you are in root's home directory, which is /root.

We'll just stick with trying to get X started first, then work out your other problems afterwards.

Guest Jw_Leonhart

hmm well guys i've had this problem trying to load 8.1 as well. It doesn't want to work right unless I select "Linux-up" at the boot screen.

I'm very new with linux so if someone could explain to me what to do, it also says HDE and HDG "lost interrupt" whatever that means?

Help!

It seems that you are experienceing several types of problems:

1) Existing from the original installation

2) Certain irregularities in upgrades

3) Possible hardware/bios related issues

Could you possibly post your /etc/fstab and also your /etc/lilo.conf, if that is what you are using? I'll bet if we start with one problem at a time, we'll get it going.

Before you reply that "it all works in windows", remember that linux is working with your existing hardware, not creating its own setup. That's why plug and play should be turned off in the bios during installation!

I didn't stick to windows because the world is moving forward, not backwards! :wink: :wink:

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Ok well I just downloaded Mandrake 9.2 so I am gonna give that w hirl, maybe that will yield better results. I don't know what is going on but I hope for once this will work.

Well, I just found out that it won't upgrade from 8.2 to 9.1. Everything APPEARS to go just fine. However, at bootup into linux, it just hangs. I did a clean install to see if I could get it installed, which it did with no problems.

I think I am going to try this: clean install 8.2 powerpack - upgrade to 9.0 powerpack, then upgrade to 9.1 powerpack. I want my Nethack Falcon's Eye (came with 8.1).

Then again, maybe not, since I do have OpenGL back. :D

I did a Powerpack Subscription, starting with 8.2 and ending with 9.1.