Are they orphaned inodes?

xbuin

I run 'fsck -n /dev/...' to check my file system, which is mounted. The output is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> fsck -nf /dev/discs/disc0/part2

fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)

e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)

Warning! /dev/discs/disc0/part2 is mounted.

Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem check.

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes

Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. Fix? no

Inode 560106 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560108 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560115 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560117 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560118 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560123 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Deleted inode 560124 has zero dtime. Fix? no

Inode 560126 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560127 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560128 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560130 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560133 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560134 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560135 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560136 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560137 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560138 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Inode 560139 was part of the orphaned inode list. IGNORED.

Pass 2: Checking directory structure

Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity

Pass 4: Checking reference counts

Pass 5: Checking group summary information

Block bitmap differences: -(1148928--1148936) -1148945 -(1148952--1148955) -1148960 -1148962 -1148970 -1148979 -1148986 -1148994 -1148998 -1149002 -1149010 -1149018

Fix? no

Free blocks count wrong (1257600, counted=1260170).

Fix? no

Inode bitmap differences: -560106 -560108 -560115 -(560117--560118) -(560123--560124) -(560126--560128) -560130 -(560133--560139)

Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong (654318, counted=654285).

Fix? no

/dev/discs/disc0/part2: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

/dev/discs/disc0/part2: 1682/656000 files (7.2% non-contiguous), 53705/1311305 blocks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they the orphaned inodes? Then I run 'touch /forcefsck' and reboot the machine. But the fsck didn't show the message of "clear the orphaned inodes..." during boot.

In fact, what I want to see is this message if the host does have orphaned inode. This is important to my work.

Need your comments on this, thanks!

Are they the orphaned inodes? Then I run 'touch /forcefsck' and reboot the machine. But the fsck didn't show the message of "clear the orphaned inodes..." during boot.

In fact, what I want to see is this message if the host does have orphaned inode. This is important to my work.

Need your comments on this, thanks!

boot from a Mandriva CD/DVD (or any other suitable CD, or bootable memory stick or even floppy disk) in rescue mode, and do a proper full fsck of that filesystem, while it's not mounted.

That way you can tell for sure if there are problems or not.

Edited by tux99

boot from a Mandriva CD/DVD (or any other suitable CD, or bootable memory stick or even floppy disk) in rescue mode, and do a proper full fsck of that filesystem, while it's not mounted.

That way you can tell for sure if there are problems or not.

Thanks! But it is impossible to boot it from a CD. It's a remote machine. I believe it doesn't have a CD device. Someone found it will take about 20~30 minutes to clear the orphaned inodes during boot after a long time running. And I am assigned to investigate the root cause. For now, I found one daemon would generate the orphaned inodes (if what I have listed are real orphaned inodes). But it doesn't show the message of "clearing orphaned..." during boot. I want to reproduce the issue. Is there other method to confirm this?

Thx.

You seem to say no when attempting to repair it? I suggest trying yes to fix the inode problem. If it's continually happening, maybe you're having problems with your disk as in bad sectors or something causing problems perhaps? :unsure:

You seem to say no when attempting to repair it? I suggest trying yes to fix the inode problem. If it's continually happening, maybe you're having problems with your disk as in bad sectors or something causing problems perhaps? :unsure:

fixing a mounted filesystem is not a good idea...

(I guess you didn't notice the OP said he ran the fsck on the mounted fs, otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't have suggested this)

xbuin, if you have no remote console access I don't know either how you can find the root cause for this and fix it.

On last thing, have you checked if in /lost+found/ there are any files from orphaned inodes from previous fscks?

If yes you can have a look at those and see if from the content you can recognize to which files/applications they belong to, this might help your root cause analysis.

Edited by tux99

Ah true, in that case you can type:

init 1

to switch to single user mode and run fsck again.

It might also be worthwhile getting a backup of all that data in case things go wrong. Be better to do this before the fsck just in case.