Homeworld Source Code Released......

ShadowFoxLSU

Yep, you heard me right. Homeworld's engine/game source code has been released, though it is not GPL :cry: . Anyway, I really wonder how long before Icculus has a port of the game up and running for both Homeworld and Homeworld Catacylsim. http://www.relic.com/ It's on the front page right now..

Sweet!!!!

This is FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

This port should only take about eight weeks, I think, considering that Howeworld has an OpenGL rendering option!!!

Ravage, please be ready with your Loki installer magic!!! (And pretty-please make it work with both the original release AND the GOTY edition).

(BTW, I almost picker up Devestation the other day because ravage did a Loki Installer for the beta. I didn't because the box looked like someone had pulled it out of their ass.)

I should note that the source appears to be released only to "club" members, which probably includes some form of NDA. This may interfere with a port to some extent, although I'm sure it can be worked out. It means that if Icculus hosts some form of porting party, that the CVS's will have to be password protected, and those of us in the general public may only get binaries. I can live with that though.

By the way, it looks like both the source AND the tools are being released.

GOOD.

A good working copy of Homeworld on my Linux Box and I probably won't be as itching for improvements in the FreeSpace source (I still get crashes at certain points of the campaign tree, as well as the slow-down/speed-up problem... I'm too lazy to download and install the CVS).

I'm a space-game nut at heart.