Getting DVD reader to work?

Guest Dean G

Have a great new samsung 52x 24x 52x 16xDVD w 8MB buffer CD burner & DVD reader and a friend got my burner working but not the DVD reader and now I need to figure out how to make it read??? In xine setup under the video tab I get "There is no configuration option available in this user experience level"?

Am very new to linux mandrake so I NEED DETAILS IN STEPS please. Thanks! -Lost in Linux

The MDK installed does a pretty good job of setting up your hardware so I'm guessing you just don't have the software you need installed. There are a couple of add ons for Xine (and MPlayer) that you need to watch most DVDs and arent included with Mandrake for legal reasons.

What you will need to do is:

- Add PLF as urpmi source, this page tells you how: http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

- Then open Mandrake Control Centre -> Software -> Installer

- Searcg for "libcss" and install it.

- Search for "libdvdcss" and install it and its dependancies.

- Search for "xine" and install all the rpms (you don't need all but this way you won't miss any).

This should leave you with the latest version of Xine and all the required add-ons for watching DVDs. So open up Xine and you should have a "DVD" tag in the GUI. Place a DVD in the drive, click the DVD tag, then wait a few seconds and click play.

You can change your experience-level in xine in the first tab....

You can enter in another tab (sorry...one of teh others) what is meant by dvd.....IYou have to enter the dev-entry for our dvd there..you can find it in /etc/fstab

Linux can read dvd's..no problem...for watching dvd-movies you need teh things mentionned above....you can also use mplayer...I presonally use xine...I use it actually for evrything......I integrate it with my browser using mozplugger..if you want I can give you my config-file of mozplugger...

I have just installed Mplayer and it works fine from the command line but the gui is a bastard to get going and still does not work quite right. If you do try Mplayer I would recomend setting the default language option in the config file, it took me a while to work out why I could only watch Blade Runer in Italian :oops:

As wells as the xine config mentioned by mtweidman

since its also a writer it will have been installed using SCSI emulation.

Now depending on which CD writer SW you use this could have been further modified.

There are several ways around it....

You can create a link in your /dev directory called dvdrom or dvd.

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd

for instance....

then in Xine tell it to use /dev/dvd in the config.

OR

You can just use the /dev/hdc

(hdc presumes its on the second IDe cable as a primary device)

Guest Takmadeus

nah, do not use frontends, just download a proper skin and that will do the job.... in my case, i am using Xine-LCD skin, and it is pretty self explanatory; and when >i do not get the function of a button, or can't find it, just use the right click menu and it will have it all....

So is the difference between a skin and a front end that the front end is another app that uses some of the original apps functionality whereas a skin is just graphical?

Or have I misunderstood?