XFce 4.0 is out! woohoooo!

sud_crow

Yep!

XFce 4.0 is out:

2003/09/25

XFce 4.0 has been released !

The XFce Project is pleased to announce the release of the XFce 4.0 Desktop Environment and Development Platform. Source archives and binary packages are available for this final release.

Download locations can be found here. Read the release notes to learn more about the changes between RC4 and the stable version.

XFce 4 is a Desktop Environment for Linux, *BSD, and other Unix-like systems. It's light, stable, modular, visually appealing and easy to configure. It offers a panel with detachable menus and many useful plugins, a full-featured window manager, a background manager, a taskbar, a centralized settings manager, a frontend for printing, a Gtk2 theme-engine, a file manager with Samba browsing and mount/umount capabilities, drag and drop and fonts anti-aliasing support, and KDE3/Gnome2 native interoperability... Moreover, XFce has been translated in many languages.

You can read the press release here.

Link: www.xfce.org

If someone gets to try it before me.... POST SOMETHING! ;)

[/u]

:) i knew you would post something! hehe...

im sorry, but...mmm... i must say that i do not know what fubar is... i read it several times, but never knew (neither thought mattered much) what was....

now i would like to know what that means... i think i will take a look at the tips...

:) i knew you would post something! hehe...

im sorry, but...mmm... i must say that i do not know what fubar is... i read it several times, but never knew (neither thought mattered much) what was....

now i would like to know what that means... i think i will take a look at the tips...

HJ will tell you what fubar is. It means stuffed up.

OH MAN LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH XFCE4 ROCKZ0RZ!!11111

You install, everything goes well; installs cleanly, no problems at all!!! Then you start X up into it to give it a try, and you play around with settings and stuff to see how coolz0rz it is, and you love it! Next, you decide to go back into gnome just so you can compare speed/look/etc. Gnome starts loading and nautilus keeps crashing!!! Isn't that SUPER COOL!?!! IT JUST SEGFAULTS! Then when gnome actually starts, you realize that for some reason, all your gnome menu entries are gone! You don't need that clutter anyway!! BUT THAT"S NOT EVEN THE BEST PART!! When you start running console apps that use python, they segfault and crash with weird errors. So you go to try and reinstall what isn't working, but since your pkg manager (gentoo) is written in python, IT DOESN"T WORK!! ISN"T THAT SUPER!!!?!?!111 So now I have a completely useless system!! But hey, I guess it was worth it, because I got to try XFce4........

</sarcasim></frustration>

Ok, I did absolutly nothing between install XFCe4 and discovering all these problems, so i have no clue what really did it. But I sure as hell am not going to be giving XFCe4 another try.

btw, fubar = fscked up beyond all recognition

</sarcasim></frustration>

:mrgreen:

Ok, i see. But a see you say Gentoo pkging system... bla bla... and then confirms, you use Gentoo, and i really dont know how it works, so i dont think it will break everything for me... any way, i prettend to try it in LFS, Arch or MDK, as soon as i can find the time to compile in LFS or the pkgs for any of the other two.

ohh, and... i dont use Gnome ;) i just *box

anyway, you took some confidence from me... i was just going to try the latest pkgs for Arch...mmmm....

hope you get to solve the fubar. thanks for the input.

I really have no clue what happend during that install. I just did a complete system install, then installed XFCe4 again, and I don't have anyproblems now. So I am very confused at what happend. The reason why I mentioned gentoo is because the gentoo packaging system (portage) is written in python. And one of the things that fubared was python dependancies or something another. It'd be equivlant to having your rpm database being corrupted and rpm binaries/libraries going missing, aka. not good :-)

;) i still have to try Gnome, i guess as soon as 2.4 is in Arch unoffcial repos i will give a try. for what ive seen looks pretty good... but i like fast loading desktops, thats why i used fluxbox (yeah yeah its a WM).... for now, im giving a try at this one and its pretty good but not so fast.