LILO boot not behaving

Guest bartell

Really appreciate the tips and instructions, excellent stuff. This is a great education. The best way to learn is to get into it up to your elbows - which is where I think I'm at now.

Despite all the editing possibilities and updating of draktools, none of the changes I've made to lilo are reflected in the start up sequence lilo. It seems as if I cant't find it, but it is definately out there.

I'm thinking I'm missing a map file or process, referred to in lilo.conf as map=/boot/map, as there is no such item in the /boot dir.

can anyone else verify if they have such a file?

Let me see if I understand everything. You do have lilo running currently, but you simply want windex to be the default os so that the family does nothing but wait at boot time. Correct?

All the steps necessary are in this thread already! :lol:

Here is what I have done almost since I started using linux. First, although I like gui, I use the command line to do important stuff. In kde, I have Konsole open all of the time! I install a program called Midnight Commander, mc, and use that for exploration and editing. So, in a console, su to root and type "urpmi mc", without the quotes.

After it is installed, type "mc", still as root, and navigate to /etc/lilo.conf. Hit F4, and edit this line, about 4th one down:

default="linux"

Note the quotes; they must be there! Call your windex boot whatever it is nwmed, no doubt "windows". (I use certaain abusive descriptions, but my wife doesn't appreciate the humor! :wink: ) Hit F4, confirm the save, and hit F10. After you exit mc, simply type "lilo" at the command line. You should see an output saying "adding blah blah blah". When you do, that means your done! Type exit in your console (to leave root) and then type "reboot". Your machine will then reboot so that you can confirm that it worked, this time with windex as the default boot os. As I said, all this has been described in this thread, but remember that there are many ways to do the same thing in linux! :wink:

OK ho'dem_Up :shock:

" Reading boot sector from /dev/hda  

Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system"

I let it default to MBR
I told lilo to go to hda5, then ran lilo -v, but returned another message indicating that hda5 was not suitable. Same thing with trying hda1. hdb also returned a read only message.
I'm thinking I'm missing a map file or process, referred to in lilo.conf as map=/boot/map, as there is no such item in the /boot dir.  

can anyone else verify if they have such a file?

there should be. I'm happy to see you're not giving up!

I do not understand all these basic instructions for a working lilo config when the current lilo config isn't working :wink: BUT, unless this is a typo

I have 2 physically seperate drives as well, with hdb being dedicated to md91. When I look at my mnt points, /boot is located on /dev/hda5
:shock: :? /boot should be on /dev/hdb1 if all of hdb is for ML and /boot is not its own partition.

Forget mcc, this can only be fixed from either the commandline or a reinstall, not to mention mcc/lilo/grub rarely work anyway.

First thing to verify is that you have done everything as root, as only root can make changes to lilo/partitions/boot. Personally I'd use grub, but if you want graphics and themes you'll have to go with lilo.

As root I would;

mv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.bak

cp -fR /boot /root

lilo -U

rpm -e --nodeps lilo

urpmi lilo

lilo /dev/hda

reboot and see if changing the default sticks and that you don't get errors when you do;

lilo -v

If it still doesn't work;

lilo -u

grub-install /dev/hda

I do;

grub-install '(hd0)'

reboot

OK, bvc, here's my df -h

[root@localhost root]# df -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hdb1             5.8G  1.5G  4.1G  27% /

/dev/hda5              38G  2.2G   36G   6% /boot

/dev/hdb6              13G  206M   13G   2% /home

/dev/hda1              47G  4.5G   43G  10% /mnt/win_c

/dev/hda6              31G  1.1G   30G   4% /mnt/win_e

I'll have to run your recommendation later, there's this thing called a job i've got to do first.

lx-thanks for the detail. I've understood everything in this thread and have executed accordingly. But I will try again utilizing yours and bvc rec's.

I'll let you know what happens.

Guest bartell

Well....I dunno//// Both bvc's procedures returned messages of Read-Only File System and would not execute.

If this is true, then how the hell did the lilo that boots up now get installed?

I smell a hdb FDISK, FORMAT and start over.

Thanks to lxt and bvc for all the help. I'm going to save this post!

well, I've only used a /boot partition once and it was a nightmare. Maybe it's suppose to be but it doesn't make sense to me that;

/boot=hda

and

/=hdb

/home=hdb

Is that something you decided or did diskdrake set it up like that? A /boot partition isn't needed at all, though some would argue that it's great if you're going to have a lot of kernels and test installs. I do fine without a /boot and have had 12 and up kernels at once :twisted: