LILO boot not behaving

Guest bartell

Newbie here, Mandrake 9.1 is awesome! But I can't figure out a glitch....I've configured the default o/s as windows (for the wife and kids!) but when the machine starts up, lilo loads linux by default. Here is a copy of my lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="windows"

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

Can anyone see why this is happening?

I think the quotes are OK, but the problem is what pmpatrick has said. After editing, you must run lilo as root in order for the changes to take effect.

OK, I ran lilo -v as root. The resulting message was " Reading boot sector from /dev/hda

Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system"

I'm assuming the Fatal part is not good.

Don't know if this helps but my hda contains win o/s (NTFS) and two logical drives (one NTFS, one FAT32). hdb is loaded with md9.1.

Here's a copy of my lilo.conf if it helps.. In my case, I have 2 physical hard drives, each with multiple partitions.

boot=/dev/hda 

map=/boot/map 

vga=normal 

default="Mandrake91" 

keytable=/boot/us.klt 

prompt 

nowarn 

timeout=3000 

message=/boot/message 

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw 

image=/boot/vmlinuz 

label="Mandrake91" 

root=/dev/hdc7 

initrd=/boot/initrd.img 

append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off" 

vga=788 

read-only 

other=/dev/hda1 

label="Windows2000" 

table=/dev/hda

Additionally, if you continue to have trouble, make sure your /etc/fstab file has an entry for your NTFS XP partition. Then re-run lilo..

yes, Ixthusdan, lilo should be installed on /dev/hda. I let it default to MBR when installing. If there is a way to verify, please tell me how.

I have 2 physically seperate drives as well, with hdb being dedicated to md91. When I look at my mnt points, /boot is located on /dev/hda5 and win_c is located on /dev/hda1. Using mcc, I told lilo to go to hda5, then ran lilo -v, but returned another message indicating that hda5 was not suitable. Same thing with trying hda1. hdb also returned a read only message.

cannonfodder, I looked at etc/fstab, and even though I have no idea what I'm looking at, there is an entry behind ntfs.

Also, what is the best way to edit lilo.conf? When I open it in K-Write, it tells me I can't save any changes.

Two things:

hda5 is not the same as the mbr on hda. The mbr is at the beginning of the drive, hda. So the problem may be that you are not really editing the file at all!!

The other is that any time you edit these types of files, you must be root. So, if you like kwrite, you can su to root in a console and then launch it as root. An easier way to do this is to launch the Superuser file manager, click on the file, and it will open an editor as root.

:lol:

Your talking to someone who takes perfecty working computers and plays with them until they break!

Just go back into the mcc and work with the correct location. The other "edits" actually did nothing, so no harm done. But, do the updates to the mandrake tools first, if you haven't already done so. If you try to work with a file that you don't have permission, (root) nothing will happen. So, you are a long way from panic!! :wink:

Not yet! :D

The best way to work with lilo (in my opinion) is to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file.

Look in the mandrake menu for a terminal (or console) program.

Type

su <-- will be prompted for root password

cd /etc

cp lilo.conf lilo.bkup

gedit lilo.conf

If gedit doesn't work, you can try kedit or some other editor you are accustomed to using.

The terminal console is the true power behind linux. From there you can directly access issues that otherwise would require you to go through another piece of software such as mcc.

Also, in the console, try typing

diskdrake and click ok on the prompt.

You should see a visual map of your hard drives. Don't make any changes, just good to help you understand how your hard drives are partitioned.