Some post setup questions...

Guest jkcavenaugh

Guest jkcavenaugh

Hi guys n gals... me again. I'm now pretty comfortable with the GUI, and can find my away around pretty well... I just wanted to ask about my hardware... Is there a util that makes sure everything's happy? Also, I'm running ZERO antivirus or firewall services...what's ESSENTIAL? One more thing... is there a way to assign icons in other desktops instead of just active windows? No more dumb questions for a while, promise. Thanks in advance!

anti-virus software? that's a windows crutch...there are maybe 3 viruses for linux, MAYBE, and they rarely spread.

as for firewall, just use the firewall utility in mandrake control center. check any services you want accessible, if none of them seem familiar to you then you probably don't need them. it'll take care of the rest.

don't worry about getting flamed for asking dumb questions. we don't do that here.

don't know if you found this yet:

open a terminal and do these commands

su >enter<

type root password >enter<

mcc >enter<

that will give you a central place, the mandrake control center, to look at a multitude of things on your system.

as far as firewall systems, I would recommend one:

such as:

firestarter http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/

or

guarddog http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/

or

Mandrake has a small lightweight, not easily configured firewall in MCC.

I wouldn't worry about antivirus. no need.

As far as your last question. I have no idea what your talking about. Can you explain it differently?

Guest jkcavenaugh

I'll rephrase (sorry bout that) What I'm looking to do is group shortcuts (Links, desktop icons) in different desktops. For example, utils in #1 messaging/Email in #2 etc.... I understand that I can send an active window to another desktop just by clicking it, but what about the icons?

(Or is that not a good way to organize commonly used applications?)

Thanks!

I'll rephrase (sorry bout that)  What I'm looking to do is group shortcuts (Links, desktop icons) in different desktops.  For example, utils in #1 messaging/Email in #2 etc....  I understand that I can send an active window to another desktop just by clicking it, but what about the icons?

(Or is that not a good way to organize commonly used applications?)

Thanks!

I can think of ways of doing it, but none of them are too easy. And they involve fluxbox and idesk. THough it is a good idea!

James

good point rxcau.

jkcavenaugh: if you are willing to leave the comfort of KDE for something a little more minimalistic, you can try fluxbox. that topic has been beaten to death many times. If you search, you should find tons of info for it.

Hi,

For what i know, that can be made in almost any DE/WM, you have to search and activate the option so every virtual desktop has its own "profile", this way if you place, lets say, all the [internet applications] icons in VD1, then VD2-3-4 wont have them. and so on.

If im not to wrong ive seen the option to make every VD to have its own config, if not in KDE Control Center, maybe was an app in freashmeat.net

Although i dont find the icon specific desktop usufull i can think in a couple of things... ;)

Anyway. good luck with that, if i can find something i will post back.

Guest jkcavenaugh

Sounds like the path of least resistance would be in finding another way to orgznize myself... Let me ask this though: What's the theory behind multiple desktops? I'm missing something....

Usually if i use more than one desktop is for doing something that needs the full screen for it self and also that allows me from time to time to go to the other and do some other stuff, but mostly i shade my windows... works pretty good.

I dont think your "direction" was bad, about your organization i would say give it a try, its mostly a personal thing so noone can tell you what will fit best for you. TRY EVERYTHING! (love Linux! :mrgreen:)