mplayer...

Guest bhrich902

Resolution is the number of pixels an image (or frame of a video clip) is made up of. For instance the resolution of my monitor is 1200 by 1024. The smaller the space you fit these pixels into the better (in theory) the picture quality, that is why printers quote Dots Per Inch (DPI) rather than res.

What you can do is change the zoom factor, which in the GUI is one of the menu options. If you increase the zoom factor the picture will not look as good because you have the same amount of data spread of a bigger area.

Guest bhrich902

so with the brief history of pixels and resolitions, nor a zoom option in the preferences, u have managed to just waste time and brag about the wide knowledge of image quality and definitions. don't take this the wrong way, but where u just waiting to tell anyone what u have learned to show off or something??.. it was a simple question, not an essay request..

Seems like an odd response to someone trying to help. If the response doesn't answer the question, then just wait for the next answer. This is all volunteer; no one is being paid to answer anything! :wink:

I believe mtwiedman was just trying to share some knowledge my friend ;-)

let me grab mplayer real quick and see if i can find you an answer...hmm, need the gui frontend...if you right click on the control interface, down towards the bottom of the menu you should see "Normal Size" "Double Size" and "Fullscreen", those should do somewhat of the trick for you....

hope that wasn't an essay ;-)

1) No need to be rude. With that kind of attitude, you'll be lucky if anyone will help you at all.

2) My mplayer GUI does indeed have a setting to "zoom"

3) You're probably trying to make a downloaded clip bigger and better, which means you're stuck with whatever resolution the video was made with. Reread mtweidmann's post.

Guest bhrich902

k, let me try to respond to anyone who posted here with what i think is no more than a logical answer to a very simple question.

1. if u can read the question i asked and then read the first answer i got, with out even thinking of anthing else, or anylizing why we are here, and all that volunteer speech one might go into. ifu were to just read the question and first answer i got, does it not seem like this guy is just, in a way, just trying to rub in a little pice of fact he might of sumbled upon and had an itching sensation to just share it at the first chance he'she had?. seriously, aside from the the purpose of this forum and everything it stands for, does it not seem remotely close to an answer i might of used? granted we are here to help one another, we don't always have to answer the questions hereif we don't have an answer or just don't feel like answering, same thing thing to me what anyone chooses really, is called freedom. to but use it as an excuse to try to come out better than the person asking a question?, really, was that first paragraph necessary?, i mean, i've managed to run OS X, XP, mandrake and arch, but really, can't some one explain to me what a pixel is or maybe what is resolution???. again, im not here to rant on anyone here, just those who i think have to admit they could of done without certain response. i can be wrong, i duno.... all im saying, there's help and there's showing off or unnecessary comments.

2. tyme, i saw those options in the the bottom, they don't do anything. they make the window bigger but the actual playback is same size as it opens, which is 400 x 300 i'm guesing.

3. booyah, if u read this post u can probably tell that i wasn't trying come off rude in any way, i post a simple question, and like the nature of the question and most people, i was hoping for a simple answer. also, if u can tell me exactly where that zoom is i could probably give it a try. mplayer .91... and they are not clips, they are full length tv apisodes and movies which resize fine on the OS X machine, just like any other type of video file would.

4. bvc, i actually had a nice day, but htx for the concern.

thx in advance for any solution.

mtweidmann was just, in detail, trying to explain the downside to using the zoom factor. That's all. Sure pixel/resolution is something a lot already understand, but we are from all walks of life around the world, and can not assume anything. I find it hard to believe that anyone would find a little knowledge about pixels/resolution something to brag about. That's like someone bragging that they just 'emerge <app>', or 'apt-get install <app>' :roll: ....so, you issued a command...whoohoo! :wink: ...the distro did the work, and you can read/type....that's nice :lol: . See what I'm saying? If you're going to critique every little comment made in an attempt to help you....you won't last long on any Forum or receive much help.....just ask me :wink: ...I sometimes have a tendency to do the same to some degree and I've seen the results.

4. bvc, i actually had a nice day, but htx for the concern.
You're welcome! :)

Sorry I d/k the answer to your question :(

Sorry its taken me so long to respond but my modem is broken so only have internet access in campus. Anyway the reason I went into such detail (or an essay) is that just telling you to click button X really isn't going to help people in the long run. If someone can't do a maths problem you explain how to do it, not just tell the answer is 5X+7Y-C otherwise what will they do next time? Also if I believe a question to be mis-asked I try to explain why I think it is wrong, again to give a better understanding of the problem.

As to your point about inching to rub in the fact that I knew something, there I must disagree with you. I'm an engineering student if I don't give complete explained answers I get shouted out by my lectures

(plus loose marks which is worse). So it becomes sort of habit to be "pedantic" when answering questions.

I am sorry you felt insulted by my answer, but it was best attempt at a complete answer. You obivously didn't need/want such a long explanation but other people reading this thread in the future might appreciate it. I will try to cut down on rambling answers but I won't stop trying to explain as well as answering a question.

And lastly thanks to everyone who stoad up for me in my absence, very much apprecaited. :)

I just installed mplayer in Debian and the video driver default was x11 and had the same prob. You go fullscreen and you get a black fullscreen but the video stays the default window size. I changed it to the best driver xV and get full screen video now. Is that was you're talking about?