Audio Cd's Not Detected

xboxboy

Hi guys,

went to find an old track today, but the CD didn't mount. I have since tried several other audio cd's with the same result. There is nothing in /media/cdrom/

I can use DVD's without any problems at all. I'm at a loss where to go from here. Any help most appreciated.

Guest vnvnvn2000

You mean the orginal CD's will not get recognised in the drive? Does the drive read other orignal audio CD's fine? I havn't heard of an orignal just not being read by a drive unless the audio disc itself is bad. If the drive reads another audio CD fine then try to put these CD's in another CDROM or even a CD player just to make sure that the discs are good

I think his report was very clear:

...but the CD didn't mount. I have since tried several other audio cd's with the same result. There is nothing in /media/cdrom/...

which is perfectly normal- audio CD's have raw datastreams with no filesystem present, and so they can't be mounted.

Ok, thanks guys, I understand that I can't mount the cd's. How do I play them? Can I see whats on the disk at all?

KDE's and Gnome's virtual filesystem can present you the audio tracks as existing "files" (which they aren't).

Just open up konqueror, and type in the address bar

audiocd:/

You will see the audioCD contents as CDA, wav, flac, ogg, mp3... and so on.

Edited by scarecrow

So, you don't have a complete (or correct) KDE 4.2 installation. The KDE VFS is missing rather basic stuff.

Does your default user belong to the "optical" group? (might also be named "cdrom" in Mandriva, dunno).

When I installed it installed the server kernel, I think this is due to the fact I'm running raid and a dual cpu. How can I add this KDE VFS?

I checked in user management in MCC, and all I can see is that the user belongs to its own group, I cant see anything about optical or cdrom? Did I look in the right area?