staroffice ... openoffice ...

null

Are these basically the same thing ? Or have they gotten different lately ? If they are basically the same thing, why does SO cost alot and OO is free ?

I don't really need a "super polished office suite". I need something that is MS Office compatible (read & write) for word processing, and I need a good spreadsheet program. I have an extreme dislike for MS, but I must admit that I really like Excel ...

I used SO a little on mdk 8.1 and 9.0, but now I am using a RH 9 download install, so I don't get SO with that (unless I can use the SO 6 from my mdk 9.0 CD ?)

I also read somewhere that college students could get SO free. So since I am taking some college classes and have a student ID maybe I can check that out.

appreciate any comments (I mean if OO is just as good or better, don't need to worry about getting SO)

Hi,

OO.o and SO should look alike. OO was developed from SO5.x, ( can't recall off hand the exact release). SO 5 source was released to the public and OO.o took it from there. So OO.o can be looked at as a child of SO.

Personally, I get better preformance ans stability from OO.o. And I can't tell you why :shock: . So that is what I use. It is every bit as powerful a suite as anything else I've used. Plus it's free! I would recommend that to you.

HTH,

dalee

SO5.1 was owned by StarDivision, a german company, which was then bought by Sun. SO5.1 became a Sun product, and also became free, money-wise.

Based on feedback from users, Sun then released the slightly better SO5.2, still free, but not free-software.

After some more feedback, and the realisation that SO needed much more improvement, Sun released PART (most) of the sources, which became the start of the OpenOffice Open-Source project. Some of the sources COULD NOT be released, due to patents, intellectual property, and so on...

After a lot of development, beta version, release candidates, and such, each being very different from the previous one, OO finally came to version 1.0.

Sun built SO6.0, by re-adding the unreleased parts of the initial SO5.2, to the current OO1.0. Among those unreleased parts are:

- better handling of some aspects/versions of MS documents (though OO does very well already)

- a pictures galery

- some fonts

- part of the documentation

- the printing code (which has been replaced in OO)

Yves.

Actually SO runs like a DREAM on Solaris....

On x86/linux they very much have the same speed probs.

Once either is started they both are a 110% office package :D

If your a poweroffice suite user SO may have an advantage, if you wanna integrate everything into linux better I find OO works better with CUPS etc.

90% of this is based on me playing about, not learning really how to use it.

You can do some pretty cool stuff just playing around and it serves 110% of my office needs !

A yes... the database component... the truth is we don't need it, because OO already is able to talk to any ODBC database, among which is PostGreSQL.

What I'd really like would be for OO to be able to create forms (based on DB) with subforms inside (like Access can do, but here with a much better back-end).

Yves.

thanks for all the comments. Guess I'll stick with oo. My RH 9 download came with oo 1.0, so I suppose I'll install oo 1.1 when its final - its still rc4 now.

Also, I read (I think on sun's website) that SO 7 is coming out real soon.

BTW - since my RH download came with oo 1.0, when I install 00 1.1 do I have to uninstall oo 1.0 and then install 1.1 or do I do a "upgrade" install ?

I noticed (at least with all the rc4 rpms for 1.1) that they are all "src" rpms.

edit: I just noticed that chris z asked a similar question already about uninstalling so 1.0 before installing 1.1 .... he beat me by a few hours... sorry chris !