Please teach this old guy how to play torcs

kmack

Hey this grandpa likes to take a break for fun now and then... :wink:

I have a logitech Wingman Extreme joystick and it works fine for me in Tuxracer and Tuxkart. But when I try to use it in Torcs I am constantly overcorrecting and spinning out. :oops: I am also totally ignorant of how to calibrate the joystick in this game and figure out the best way to use throttle, brakes, etc. It is pretty hilarious to watch me try to keep out of the fences and guardrails!

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to properly setup my joystick for Torcs? TIA! :)

There is a joystick calibration program in Linux,... called jscalibrator I think (can't remember, I use SuSE now). I would launch it, calibrate your joystick, then leave it open and open your game. Hopefully it will retain settings for you.

Other than that, most games have a screen to set the dead-zone of the joystick. You need to increase the dead-zone and maybe even decrease sensitivity. If the game does not have this, then try doing it in jscalibrator or look for a configuration file in the game's user directory (usually they are hidden directories, so enable show hidden files in your file browser). There may be settings for joystick deadzone and sensitivity. Increase the deadzone and decrease sentitivity in increments.

I personally have never used Torcs so I can't help there. I don't even know what kind of game Torcs is.

Thanks for your ideas!

Problem is I am a total noob in gaming land. :lol: It is pretty fun but frustrating when I don't know how to adjust things to get them under control. I have read the "how to drive" tutorial and know where the joystick settings can be changed, but what the settings need to be to desensitize the joystick so it doesn't oversteer is what I am after.

Guess I'll just spend time trying various extreme settings and see what I end up with... good thing I don't have to pay a body shop!!!! :wink: