Constant problems with MySQL and password setting

n9nu

This is probably most easy for some of you, but despite all the howto's I a have read, I cannot for the life of me get Mysql to accept a password upon initial installation.

I only neeed MySQLD to run so I can put up my phpBB. I don't need anything fancy...just the basics for this PC. The FQDN for this machine is: 'fsx-planet.info' and the hostname is set to that as well. I always get the password error "SET TO YES" crap when I try. I have seen so many different ways to do it, but none that actually work for my setup.

I am running 2009.1 and have all the necessary mysql, apache, proftpd, php, etc. files installed. Each time I try and get that error, I remove 'mysql' and try again.

My "my.cnf' file has the line "skip-networking" commented out per many howtos. I have not entered a user name or password into that file. It then tells me to issue the following two commands:

mysql -u root --password=my_password --port=2273 --protocol=TCP

mysql -u root --password=my_password --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysqlmanager.sock

First...i changed the port to 3306 then I ran the first command....to get the password = YES crap. Why bother with 2nd one again.

I then noticed this instruction: Please note you also need to add a user in the /etc/mysqlmanager.passwd file and

make sure the file is owned by the user under which the Instance Manager service

is running under.

Do I need to add the user and password first?? AI beg for a simple explanation.... :wall:

Thank You

Tim

Did you set the password for root after you installed? Because this is generally always blank and you need to set using mysqladmin after starting the mysqld daemon. It's not clear from the above what you've done, other than change some my.cnf setting which probably didn't need doing.

So, first try:

mysql -u root

and see if it opens. If not, then it's requiring a password, then try:

mysql -u root -p

and give the password that you set for this user. If you don't know what it is, I suggest you remove mysql and start again, and ensure you remove the existing databases, which I think are usually under /var/lib/mysql as well as remove the my.cnf file so that it doesn't attempt to use any config changes you made.

It's best to make sure all is working OK first, and then make changes to ports, or whatever else, one at a time, so that you can then see where you went wrong.