vegastrike 0.4.1 released for linux

johnnyv

I have played a few of the earlier versions and it was pretty good then except for the graphics

the engine supported decent graphics but there weren't many good models availible, with this release there has been a huge amount of work done on the models and other graphic stuff so it is looking heaps better.

Most of the games config is in xml files you can do a lot of tweaking if you are prepared to do abit of reading and if you know python you can script new effects etc.

I have not played 0.4 yet as i have just noticed its release, will be downloading it tonight.

Oh, this is SWEET. Please tell me that there is BOT support in this game... Not just MP only!!!!!

I love the pics on the Trek Mod. It looks like Bridge Commander,... only as good as BC was Supposed to be.

I'm going to be abusing my broadband connection at work to DL this!!!

Nobody tell my bosses... (not like you know who they are).

Oh, this is SWEET. Please tell me that there is BOT support in this game... Not just MP only!!!!!

I love the pics on the Trek Mod. It looks like Bridge Commander,... only as good as BC was Supposed to be.

I'm going to be abusing my broadband connection at work to DL this!!!

Nobody tell my bosses... (not like you know who they are).

It is mainly single player, multiplayer is a work in progress.

I DL'd it but haven't tried installing it yet. I'm gonna love running the vegaTrek mod... I've been wanting Star Trek starship combat on my Linux box since I switched over and lost the ability to run Starfleet Command on my machine...

I can't get the thing installed because the source won't compile on SuSE 8.2 (or 8.0 or 8.1 for that matter, for most people). I've tried tweaking, but it doesn't seem to help.

Hey, ravage!!!! How about a Loki installer for the 0.4.1 version?!?!????

The problem is unique to SuSE I think...

I believe it has to do first with the version of gcc, and then secondly about some of the odd compiling options on some of the packages. VegaStrike just doesn't seem to like SuSE.

I had a problem with Mandrake 8.2 and RTCW. I also had and still have problems with FreeSpace 1&2 (they crash back to desktop when the campaign reaches a certain point, and both suffer from time acceleration/deacceleration problems).

There are now RPMs of VegaStrike available for DLing.

Some of the people in the forums were nice enough to post them. To find them, go to the website above and visit the forums, specifically the Help room. You'll find a link to the site where you can get them.

• 2 weeks later...

I played an ealier version. I was nice, but the graphics weren't so good AT THAT TIME and I foudn teh universe pretty empty, but that was maybe because I was just hovering around :D.

Anyway, I followed teh forums of vegstrike and I have the i;pression there a lot of improvements to teh grphics, ass well as the game-play, .... I also think they try to put in original stuff. Don't knoz if it is original, but when your hit, your ship starts to shake a little bit .... or is it zhen your already heavily damaged??

I played single player and now that if you attack a base, the turrets will start opening fire on you :D. But like I said these version has a lot of improvements I think.

Maybe I'll try it out again, when I ahve the time.

The graphics engine pretty much always supported higher detail models, it's just that during development, low poly models were being used. Improvements in the model base and the game-play have been pretty steady.

There are still a lot of bugs, for example if you accidently hit a station while duking it out outside, the turrets will fire at you and continue to do so while you are docked...

The save game function needs improvement as well as Mod support improvement, but the game is shaping up rather nicely. It's certainly a lot better than the pre-alpha that was out 2.5 years ago...