urpmi problems from hell (or why dear lord, why me?)

Guest Shadowline

Guest Shadowline

I've been useing Mandrake since 7.3 off and on, so I'm not exactly a n00b. But urpmi on Mandrake 9.0 has got me pulling my hair out. I can't seem to use it to install anything when I point it at say a directoy containing the required rpms for ogle from P.L.F., it'll see the main ogle file yet insist on trying to download the rest from the ftp. Plus when I try to use Mandrake Update it says my system is uptodate which I know for a fact it ain't. I would be eternaly grateful for a simple answer to this vexing problem. :?:

Guest Shadowline

well, I've used apt-get from Texstar...but I like to use other ftp's in addition to his..and since he ain't got ogle and some other files I would like to use urpmi. But maybe you don't understand...I've download the required files to a temp directory, urpmi only see's the ogle rpm and ignores all the other required dependencys that are also in the directory with the ogle rpm. I hope that clarifies my predicament. Also your "rpm --rebuilddb" speeded Mandrake Update up but it still refuses to download and updates, I've ran the Source Update manager several times to update it and it still refuses to dl any required files. I know it see them because if I go to Software Installation and then All Packages, by update availability, I can see all the updates but have no idea what I really need to get.

Some experiences with urpmi:

1. Perfect, if you've got a hdlist in the rpm-directory, as texstar has. Then just add the media via controlcenter or "urpmi.addmedia" (remember for that: rtfm ;))

2. Semiperfect, if you've got the directories downloaded. Then you've got to FORCE him to make this hdlist-thing ("urpmi.addmedia -f ...").

3. Semi-worst: "urpmi /path/to/rpmfile.exact.name.i386.rpm". Woks, too.

4. Worst: "rpm -Uvh /path/to/rpmfile.exact.name.i386.rpm". Works, but the installed file will not appear in the controlcenter.

Allotgether, rpm's are represented in hdlists for urpmi. What's not in there will not appear in the graphical installers.

Be aware, that he can't addmedia, when the directory to add contains files that are NOT rpm, like "tar.gz". He will try to handle it as rpm and, of course, fails with an error. Be sure that the directories are "clean".

Be aware, that there are different types of (hd)lists: The bigger one includes the descriptions and filelists of all rpm's listed in there, the smaller one just takes the rpm-name, without any additional comment. Very uncomfortable, if you've got both to choose, take the bigger one.