scsi emulation without rebooting?

Steve Scrimpshire

Is it possible to get scsi emulation working for my cdrom without rebooting?

Currently, my Secondary IDE Master is my CDROM and my Secondary IDE Slave is my DVD burner. I have scsi emulation for the burner and it is /dev/scd0. I would like to add scsi emulation for my regular CDROM so it can be seen by burning proggies. Is this possible without rebooting? I know I can easily do it by adding hdc=ide-scsi to the append line of lilo.conf and then /dev/hdc would become /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd0 would become /dev/scd1, but I'd like to do it without a reboot.

NAFAIK, and it would still require restarting the dev service/system, which theoritically is possible, but realisitically could be a pain possible - although it has been done, and can be done. oooh, wait...i know what might help you...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=20175

that post over at the gentoo forums should have a good bit of the info you're looking for - or should atleast stear you in the right direction.

As far as Iknow there are 2 ways for scsi-emulation:

1) with lilo..restart necessart,

2) (haven't tried it, but look at link): changes in /etc/.modules.conf

(but ide-cd needs to be a module, which is mostly not in districutions...think also not in Mandrake ...hehe)

http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/sr.html

(I was searching for this too :). We don't want to restart linux if it's not nbecessary!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Did you make any headway here?

I looked at my output of lsmod and mandrake has both ide-cd and ide-scsi as modules! So I thought I would follow the instructions in the link given by Michel. Basically,

rmmod ide-scsi; rmmod ide-cd; modprobe ide-scsi

but no go :cry:

does anyone why it does not work? It seems all the conditions listed on that site are satisfied...

Lots of stuff actually relies on scsi support.

Like lots of things live ogg2mp3 becuase they relay on cdtrecord and cdrecord needs scsi!

Therefore even if the CD drive didn't actually work there is still some use in doing this.

Aniother question is like is scsi emulation bad if you have a (/me) combined cdrecorder/DVD player.

To use cd recording it needs the ide-scsi BUT common sense tells me this isn't going to do DVD playback muchgood ????

going into single user mode does not help.

here is what happens. Boot with ide-scsi off. CD-drive is at /dev/hdc. Do rmmod ide-cd and no longer a device at hdc. So this is how it's supposed to be. But when I rmmod ide-scsi and then modprobe ide-scsi, the drive is not detected as it were. If I do modprobe ide-cd again, it will reappear at /dev/hdc.

When I boot with ide-scsi on, the same happen just in reverse.

Here is something I noticed. I boot ide-scsi off, do rmmod ide-cd. Then I run harddrake (service harddrake start) and it will detect my cd-drive but as /dev/hdc even if I have unloeaded the ide-cd module and have loaded the ide-scsi module. The same in reverse happens when I boot with ide-scsi on.

So harddrake somehow knows which options I used at boot. Where is that information stored?

thanks. Tried it and it doesn't work.

modprobe ide-cd ignore=hdc

does what it's supposed to do (ignore hdc) but modprobe ide-scsi still doesn't seem to 'detect' the drive.

what I don't understand is how harddrake 'knows' what options were used during boot. I suspect if I know how that part works, I can get it fixed. I really would rather not reboot just to watch dvd or to burn a cd.

kind of fixed it.

I booted with ide-scsi emumation off and then rebooted with it on. Lo and behold, the cd-drive appears under

/dev/scsi/etc.etc.

AND

/dev/ide/etc.etc.

and I can access both. Once as an ide device with dma enabled for smooth dvd playback and once as a scsi device for burning :D :D :D Didn't know this is possible - all the literature suggest that it's either or but not both.

I do have harddrake disabled from running at startup but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

For all those who have a combo cd-r/dvd drive, this is worth a try.

cheers.