This is probably similar to other recent problems....

Guest jkcavenaugh

Guest jkcavenaugh

Hiya folks,

I'm a pretty well seasoned NT admin, and in the last week I've taken an intro to Linux. I've decided to install it vie dual boot configuration with XP. Please forgive me if this is a repetitive question, but I'm pretty stuck.

I'm installing 9.1 to a Compaq Evo. I have a gig of ram, and a PNY Verto GeFORCE FX 5200 PCI (128 Megs). The following has happened thus far:

The first run through, it actually completely. did notice that I had to use the lowest resolution install mode, or I got a blank screen. Once I was logged in and in the GUI, I was messing with video modes in order to negoatiate a larger desktop, and anything above 800X600 (Any bit) would result in a blank screen.

To make a long story short, I ended up pawering down b/c I couldn't see my input. :o( Any subsequent boots resulted in a freeze on the checking dependancies process.

After several reboots, I can't seem to boot... when using the GUI loader, if I select any Linux mdoe, the screen goes blank after the first line.

Is there a way to change the default graphic mode via the command line? I also created a bootdisk, but I get the same result. I can't get back to the device configuration gui, can I?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Also: I notice that my audio in XP is redirected to my internal speakers... sound famaliar?

Welcome to mandrakeusers.org!

1) Go to nvidia and download the linux driver, and install it. Be sure to read our faq, so that you know how to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

The above file is the config for the x windows invironment, and can be edited at the command line to fix issues.

2) If you install Midnight Commander (mc), you will find a gui-ish command line file manager that is very useful for gui users.

At the command line, become su and type: urpmi mc

The system will ask for the second install cd, and install the program. To use simply type "mc".

Guest jkcavenaugh

Forgive me if I'm slow, this wasn't covered in the class, but hopefully I'll catch on quickly.

The only command line I can get to is w/ the rescue feature from the boot disk... I can't seem to authenticate as root there. Also, if I esc the boot menu and type unix 3, my screen goes blank as well.

Guest jkcavenaugh

Progress :)

linux init 3 vga=normal got me visible in the boot process, but I hang at finidng module dependencies. Any ideas?

ALso: I have found that I can modify my XF86Config file in order to change resolution, but I can't find it in /usr/x11R6 (Directory doesn't exist) or in /etc

Hitting I anywhere in the process doesn't do anything.

Guest jkcavenaugh

I am now posting from within Linux! :) Thanks!

From here out I'll probably have lots of annoying n00b questions... I wouldn't want to annoy anyone, so where's the best place to post them? (After I search for the answer on my own first, of course)

For example, after I downloaded and installed the NVIDIA driver, my video card information didn't change according to the device information I navigated to on boot when I selected the "This Computer" from the initial pop up window. (How do I get back to that system configuration in KDE?) I noticed the video driver was still a generic nvidia.... Hopefully I'll be able to increase my resolution to above 800X600 without a blank screen. I *THINK* I just need to copy and paste the entries from the nvidia XF86Config examples into my XF86Config file in /etc.

Again... MANY thanks for helping me solve a problem I was totally beat on. FYIO: It was my USB midi keyboard messing up the boot process... once I unplugged it, I could boot.

:headbang: You're welcome!

Post in whatever Section best fits the prob.

When you say 'generic nvidia driver' do you mean;

Driver "nv"

?

You have to edit XF86Config-4 yourself and make it

Driver "nvidia"

There are a few tools in the Mandrake Control Center (mcc from commandline, drakconf from init 3) for changing/configuring you video settings. Until you get the video stabalized you might want to boot to init 3 (console) and use startx to get into X, or install Xtart, and use Xtart at init 3 to get into X. It's what I do anyway. Otherwise, do (as root);

service dm stop

to get to init 3 and;

service dm start

to get a graphical login again. To be able to boot to init 3 go to;

mcc>Boot>DrakBoot

and untick the graphical environment at boot. Then;

mcc>System>DrakXServices

and untick dm at boot.

:) That's class for today....let me know if you have any questions! :wink:

You want to add it in this section like this:

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

If you don't have some of these lines, you probably don't need them, but add the Load "glx" there.

It gives you 3D acceleration. If you don't have it in there, games that require glx will crash (like Tux Racer).

Thanks again for the help... Hope I get to return the favor one day.
You're quite welcome! Thanks for saying thanks :)

The new nvidia installer is very good about putting

Load "glx"

now days. You use to have to do that, but I haven't had to for a long time, even b4 the new installer. All that 'should' be necessary is changing nv to nvidia.

I am now posting from within Linux! :)  Thanks!

From here out I'll probably have lots of annoying n00b questions... I wouldn't want to annoy anyone, so where's the best place to post them? (After I search for the answer on my own first, of course)

The best place to post em is right here on mandraekusers. THat's the idea of the site. To help new users, get it all working then eat them.

Annoy anyone? doubt it, we were all newbies once, and a lot of us still are. Like me!

Have fun and welcome to the Light side of the moon. Somewhere with no windows or gates an open, friendly and fun place.

Sorry to ramble. My imagination went wild

James