Need Help Badly

dinsmorem

first off I'm a newbie to Mandriva. I got sick of Vista , wiped it out and installed Mandriva 2009. everything is great except no sound. so please can someone help me? as I said I am a newbie so any instructions provided will have to be written for an idiot. i will need step-by-step instructions. any and all help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

Intel 82801G HDA can use several different codecs. Can you be more specific? (mainboard, or laptop model, for example).

do you think you will able to help me? elsewhere I saw people being advised to install a new kernel to correct this type of problem. is that what I should do?

No, it's almost sure you won't need a kernel upgrade to fix this. You may need to blacklist the pc-speaker module, or pass certain switches to your snd-hda-intel sound module, but it's almost certain that no kernel upgrade is needed.

What do you get if you give

lsmod  | grep snd

in a ROOT console?

Edited by scarecrow

in a ROOT console?
To clarify. You need to start up your konsole/terminal, via your menu in the Tools section or by doing Alt & F2 then type: konsole. Once your konsole/terminal is running type: su press enter then enter your root password and press enter.

Now run the command that scarecrow posted.

Have you checked your mixer settings? Have you checked if the drivers are installed under Mandriva Control Centre--> Hardware? Do you get sound out of the headphone socket?

the mixer setting all are set correctly.

under drivers it shows "snd_hda_intel [alsa]"

no sound out of the headphones

the mixer setting all are set correctly.

under drivers it shows "snd_hda_intel [alsa]"

no sound out of the headphones

If it's just the headphones you have a problem with, then it's "simply" a matter of passing the correct model argument to the snd-hda-intel driver. The two most probable candidates for your laptop are either "3stack" or "fujitsu" (and yes, I know you do NOT have a Fujitsu laptop...). But better, before making any suggestions, give us the console output of the above command.

If it's just the headphones you have a problem with, then it's "simply" a matter of passing the correct model argument to the snd-hda-intel driver. The two most probable candidates for your laptop are either "3stack" or "fujitsu" (and yes, I know you do NOT have a Fujitsu laptop...). But better, before making any suggestions, give us the console output of the above command.

no...its no sound from speakers or headphones. i am currently at work. i will get you the console output when i get home. thank you

Do you have a volume control on the laptop? I have this on my Tosh laptop, and I have to use this to increase/decrease the volume, as well as being able to do it with the software. Once I had the volume on max (software) but couldn't hear anything, and it was because I hadn't increased it using the hardware switch on the laptop. It might not be this, since if you had sound working before, it could well be something to do with hda_intel for your card.

I also found this:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488

and check this, since it also has instructions on what to do:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php...ix:Vendor-Intel

it also might help.

No, it's almost sure you won't need a kernel upgrade to fix this. You may need to blacklist the pc-speaker module, or pass certain switches to your snd-hda-intel sound module, but it's almost certain that no kernel upgrade is needed.

What do you get if you give

lsmod  | grep snd

in a ROOT console?

[mike@localhost ~]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost mike]# lsmod | grep snd

snd_hda_intel 409872 0

snd_hwdep 10884 1 snd_hda_intel

snd_seq_dummy 6660 0

snd_seq_oss 33664 0

snd_seq_midi_event 10240 1 snd_seq_oss

snd_seq 51312 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event

snd_seq_device 10252 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq

snd_pcm_oss 41760 0

snd_pcm 72836 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss

snd_timer 23816 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm

snd_page_alloc 11784 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

snd_mixer_oss 18304 1 snd_pcm_oss

snd 52772 9 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,s

nd_timer,snd_mixer_oss

soundcore 10080 1 snd

[root@localhost mike]#

hope this is the info you needed. thank you

Would you also include the output of
grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf

and

arecord -l

[root@localhost mike]# grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf

alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

[root@localhost mike]#

[root@localhost mike]# arecord -l