Finally playing RTCW native in Linux...

Guest JaseP

After switching to SuSE,... I've finally gotten around to downloading the (Huge) Linux binary for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and am finally playing it native.

I really don't notice much difference between this and playing through WineX (framerate and control wise), except that it is more emotionally satisfying being native. Levels do seem to load a little faster though. You gotta love ID. I can't wait for DOOM 3.

Is that that free download?!?!?

I'm not really interested in that. Too much of the same for me, not that RTCW isn't like Quake3, and won't be like DOOM 3...

However, I just did buy Neverwinter Nights' expansion pack, Shadows of Undrentide. I haven't installed it yet though...

I hope BioWare produces a SciFi title that plays like NWN (besides KotOR, which I know we're not getting). I'm thinking of picking up UT2K3.

ET is a free download, yes. It was originally developed to be an expansion for RTCW, but they changed their minds and made it stand-alone. It's better for multiplayer, if you do that, than RTCW is. It's a great game, and I'm grateful that they give it away... It's not deathmatch, it's teams, with objectives, and things like that. It's great.

But if you're only looking for single-player games, then don't bother with ET.

Well, I don't have broadband. And so any Multiplayer experiences I have are limited to the small bandwidth of a 56K modem.

I'm more into the single gamer experiences, not so much the multi.

Well, I don't have broadband. And so any Multiplayer experiences I have are limited to the small bandwidth of a 56K modem.

I'm more into the single gamer experiences, not so much the multi.

Totally understandable. I'm not big on MP games myself, but ET is the exception for me. :)

If only there was a bot patch so you could play it offline... heh. :)

I know they made a bot thing for RTCW, but I don't think it works on ET.

I actually prefer playing most games with bots to online, since bots usually tend to be less dumb than the goons I get on my team.

Man, that's the truth.  Especially in a game like ET where it's not just straight deathmatch.

Although, you can and do sometimes get some pretty damn stupid bots

Yeah, but I mostly only played UT against bots. They weren't too bad.

For a good read about AI/bots, check out the reviews for Extreme Paintbrawl for Windows, hehe.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160455p1.html

The reviews for the second and fourth versions of the game are funny too. And if you're wondering about the third game, well, read the review of the fourth one heh.

Extreme Paintbrawl 2: http://pc.ign.com/articles/164/164025p1.html

Extreme Paintbrawl 4: http://pc.ign.com/articles/362/362053p1.html