Wireless PRISM3 on an Averatec 3150p

HJ

OK guys, I'm really stumped here. I've been working for the past few hours, plus until early in the morning last night trying to get my friends laptop running well with everything working in linux. I've solved most of the problems, but this wireless network card is drving me nuts. According to usbview it's a IEEE 802.11b PRISM3 USB (even though the casrd is built-in, it connects to the bus through USB) and is a AirVast Taiwan. I tried following the directions/info supplied here but I can't get mandrake to recognize a wlan0 device. At first I built my own version of wlan utils and drivers and installed them, then I notice there are kernel modules for prism2_usb (even thought it's a PRISM 3 card the prism2 drivers are suppose to work) already in the mdk kernel and the wlan utiles it uses in a mdk rpm. But, with both setups, I still can't get it to recognize a wlan0 device. Anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling it has something to do with the way mandrake is handling it, but I haven't been using mandrake myself for a while, and am not sure.

Thanks

-HJ

Guest alwayzamd

Ok, I am the friend that his having the trouble with the wifi... User HJ is helping me with this pain in the neck... Here is an update as to where we are, and a summary of what we did.

We have followed all of the instructions posted over the internet and here in the forum with no go. The RC2 already has the wlan tools integrated with the kernel, so we didn't need to install the wlan package. We edited the prism2sta.c to follow your guidelines, and added the info to the modules.conf to associate wlan0 to the new devce driver, then rebuilt the entire kernel, utilizing the built in wifi package. Wlan comes up ok, but the device never registers in ifconfig. I type in dmesg after power-cycling the wifi card and this is what I get:

hub.c: new USB device 00:10.2-1, assigned address 3

prism2sta_probe_usb: prism2_usb: hfa384x_corereset() failed.

usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x50c2/0x4013) is not claimed by any active driver.

I think the problem is here: hfa384x_corereset() failed

the device is not claimed by the driver....

Any ideas??

Thanks!

T.J.

Averatec 3150p

• 3 months later...

I do not see any news on your thread but I was wondering whether you found a solution for this prism3 usb since I bought a Shuttle SB65G2 which includes as well the prism3 usb wifi module. It works fine on windows but cannot make it work on Linux Mandrake 9.2. Beside this problem, this Shuttle is a fantastic computer (and I still have a network interface to connect to my router when I boot Linux.

Any ideas?