Problems connecting to my windows 2000 printer thru Mndrake

sgroy

Can anyone help me here,

I am new to Mandrake linux, installed 9.1 just last week: okay here goes

My linux pc has 2 network cards, etho is my local network or lan with i.p. address 192.168.1.1

and my eth1 card is my internet connection, which has its address automatically assigned thru dhcp.

I installed connection sharing thru MCC, and my internet works just fine on both pc's

I modified my smb.conf script and added my lan workgroup as HOME1, my windows2k pc is on workgroup home1 as well, but it can't see my linux pc, and my linux pc can't see my windows 2k pc when I run linneighbourhood. I can ping my windows 2k pc without any problems .. I found somewhere on here a place that I could hard assign an address to my windows2000 pc,, so that works fine.

I can't see any of my windows 2k shares, the printer is shared on it as well..

Helpjava script:emoticon(':roll:')

First thing that I would look at would be the workgroup. This really shouldn't matter, but you never know. On your linux machine you have it spelt as HOME1 and on your win2k machine you have it as home1. This may be causing a problem. (hey, its worth checking)

Second thing would be to check that you don't have any firewalls running on either computer. These can seriously bugger things up. If you are running a firewall, then you will probably have to punch a hole in for whatever port samba is using. My first guess would be that this is the problem. You have shorewall, or some other firewall, running on your linux computer that is getting in the way.

Yes fuzzylizard is right .. it's probably the firewall. When one enable ICS on a MDK box, it enable Shorewall, the default firewall. So you have to make holes in it for your Linux box to talk to your Windows box and vice-versa. You will have to play with /etc/shorewall/rules for that. Here is what I would write ...

#Let the Windows box to connect to the Linux Samba server

ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp     137,138,139    -

ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp     137,138,139    -

#Let the Linux box to connect to the Windows SMB server

ACCEPT  fw    masq      tcp     137,138,139    -

ACCEPT  fw    masq      udp     137,138,139    -

Now restart shorewall

shorewall restart shorewall

And play with linneighbourhood or smbclient or ..

Good luck

MOttS

• 3 weeks later...

After configuring samba> run LinNeighborhood> double-click the workgroup (ensuring it's then same as on the win2k box)>click the Log Button> rt-click and choose 'scan as user'> then enter;

Administrator

password

for win2k and see if you can see win2k.