adding programs?

Guest controler

Guest controler

Well I finialy got Linux installed RC2.

The only way I could get it was to install tools.

Now on reboot, my username -password works but all I get on my screen is a clock LOL

How do I add the graphical interface now?

con

Guest controler

This is done during bootup?

Otherwise right now all I have is the blue desktop with a clock

and left clicking on the desktop brings up a menu that really does nothing

that I can see. I get mandrak configuration ect but clicking on them does nothing. MY system boots to the username password.

then like I mentioned, left clicking on the desktop gives me Mandrake-Twn

No other icons.

con

ok, I misunderstood! You are looking at a very basic window manager, IceWM. It comes up if you either did not install anything else but XFree86, or your video card is misconfigured. What is your vid card?

Guest controler

My Video card is a Elsa Winner

And it detected it as a Savage 4

Yes I had to install the basic configuration. I believe I selected tools

only, otherwise my system kept frezzing on install. I also always got errors even during this install and I just checked yes to continue.

SO are you saying with this basic install, I can't add more?

I am happy to have got it this far :)

con

Guest controler

Ok lets try this again

Will looking at the startup script help me install more then I have now?

OR do I need to try reinstall again OR do I need to say I quit on getting Mandrake installed on this system.

Seems Mandrake has some issues with AMD processors and ASUS mobo's

I have found no issues with either amd or asus and mandrake. Please enlighten me. Are you installing a regular or expert install? Are you saying that mandrake will only install a basic system and nothing else? Have you tried some of the above suggestions? If you did, what happened? :?:

Unless you like bug hunting, I would not recommend a release candidate at all. Why not get 9.1? I have rc2 running great on my machine:epox mb and amd xp1800+. But I have experimental partitions with which I play! My main is 9.1. :)

Guest controler

Hello and thanks

Yes I tried 9.1 with same results.

I tried 9.2 RC1 and now RC2 wich is better on my install.

I have downloaded all versions on a fast connection and checked the MD5 values.

During install, I select the default settings except for when the packages screen comes up. I have tried the Text install and the graphic install.

So far , I have tried various packages and all seem to freeze except for when I select TOOLS on the packages screen.

I have set my BIOS to NO Plug and Play and NO shadow RAM

From what I have been reading here at the forums, people with AMD's seem to be having the most trouble.

NOw for the question, do I like finding bugs?

Well yes I do.

I have beta tested for Symantec, Intuit, Spybot S&D Jv16 power tools

NOD-32 , KAV firewall and AV , you name it...

One thing that bugs me (PUN)is that MS wouldn't let me BETA unless I paid.

Course we all know they are getting beta testting everyday with normal home users that leave SEND BUG reports enabled.

My problem here is, I am completly new to LINUX

I have built and used computers since the early 80's so I know hardwear and Windows.

I will always advise people to NOT use any Mc afee products

con

OK. Try to do an install without selecting any individual packages. The most common problem is with apm or acpi. I run my box with acpi off. you can install mandrake by hitting esc at the boot splash and typing acpi=off and load from there. the problem with this idea is that usually if this is the problem, the install process freezes after a few minutes. You are describing something different. So I suggest not doing anything but a standard install. Perhaps you are inadvertantly deselecting the wrong packages! Other common problems are with dma. Some hard drives don't work right with the installer. But they run fine with a functioning system. So, dma=off at install time, and turn it on after the system is loaded.

Guest controler

I am now convinced ISO is not a good way to distribute an 650 meg file.

What I am finding is buring the CD with ISO recorder and NERO produces two different results.

Even though the MD5 shows good with MD5summer it still apprears the download is corrupt in one way or another.

ISO Recorder being the worst of the two.

Wouldn't it work better to split the file with RAR for example?

con

I have been using iso's for 3 years. The only problems I have encountered are:

1) Bad download.

2) Bad burn.

3) Bad media.

4) Bad burner.

Some advocate burning at lower speeds because of inaccuracies in higher speeds. I myself have burned at 24X without problems. I have found cheap media to be problematic. I buy reputable brands that I am familiar with. As ar as download problems, md5sum fixes that. If your md5sum is good, then the other three are the issues to check.

I'd add one more thing to Ixthusdan's list:

5) Older CD ROM that doesn't read CD's burned by newer / high speed burners.

My older desktop, Acer Aspire 5000e PII/233, took 5 tries to get the files to read properly. I did a minimal text install and barely could get the files to install w/o errors. I finally figured out it was the reader having problems reading the CD. After swapping in another cd rom, it worked flawlessly.

So... if your cd-rom is say 5 yrs old, it might be suspect too!

:shock: I'm confused :? You got into X rt?....blue screen, rt-click menu, terminal? True a bad burn/cd etc..=missing files but there's more than one way hunt. From the blue desktop you can get a terminal from the menu (xterm) if you don't already have it and;

su <Enter>

root_password <Enter>

service dm stop

this will get you to init 3 (console). Another way to get to init 3 is to ,at lilo, press Esc and type

linux 3

This should get you to init 3 (console mode). Login as root and what's the output of

ls -a /etc/X11/wmsession.d

do;

startx

failed? what were the errors?

do (case sensitive);

urpmi Xtart

..after Xtart is installed do;

Xtart

and choose 1,2,3....try them all, in other words. What are the errors?