One-Handed Keyboard in Linux

Steve Scrimpshire

Here's something interesting I accidentally ran across on the web:

http://www.eklhad.net/linux/app/onehand.html

It's not very practical if you have one of the ergonomic keyboards where the left and right side of the keyboard are angled toward the center, but it is a great innovation.

Hey, Ptzach that was my first thought too.

But potenially useful ...

I developed my mouse skills mainly right handed because when I started using PC's they were shared between thousands of people (well maybe less). - bah I used the old DEC Windows ..

So of course the mouse was left on the right hand side.

What this means is since I mainly write left handed (Im a bit weird-I was RH until I broke my collar bone at age 5) I can use the mouse in one hand and a pen (remember those) in my left.

When Im typing I tend to type with my left and use a pen in my right (yeah-I said I was weird ... if I use whiteboards etc I write right handed).

So for thouroughly srewed ambi-unsure people like me this sounds great!

And potentially for people wih disabilities it sounds great too.

A guy I knew developed just such a keyboard back in 1990. I believe it was originally an undergrad project. I tried it out back then and couldn't believe how easy it was to use. Within 5 minutes I was just typing away with one hand. Although I never tried it out for a long term period it could even be useful for those who aren't disabled. You can type away with the left hand and operate the mouse with your right hand. I don't do a lot of word processing so I really couldn't tell you if this is useful or not for that sort of thing but it might be.

Glitz.

LOL roland...

I am coming to appreciate humor like that from Pierre now you...

cool...

I was just joking the other day were being overrun by frogs ... do you think you own Mandrake or something :?: :wink: Now your getting all the best LOL's what's happening ....

Ton amiable rostboeuf :wink: