Gnome Problems

Guest Tux234

i trying to switch to gnome but i can't seem to get the buttons or the scrollbars of the window do display the themes I download right even though the theme manager says that they are installed. Also Icons I try to install won't show up in the theme manager

First, are you installing them as a user, or root? Are they in your

/home/usr_name/.themes

/home/usr_name/.icons

/home/usr_name/.meacity

directories?

Are you clicking on the Details button to specifically change and specific theme, or are you changing from the main window? Are there dplicates...in other words, make sure you didn't install a theme that was already in /usr/share/themes. Finally, is the theme engine installed? This is separate from a theme...it's what makes a theme display and act properly.

What themes?

1st I'm installing them as a user.

2nd I put them in there right places

3rd I click the details button

4th The themes I installed aren't in /usr/share/themes but they show up in the theme manager.

5th I'm not sure what the the theme engine is; is it the index.theme file? If so

the files I d/l'ed didn't have it in the file.

an index.theme file is for an icon theme only, and I belive is manditory. All mine have one.

[root@localhost root]# ls ~/.icons/Industrial

192x192/  24x24/  32x32/  48x48/  72x72/  96x96/  cursors/  index.theme  scalable/

[root@localhost root]#

here's where you'll find your engines

[root@localhost root]# ls /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/engines

libcleanice.la*     libgalaxy.so*          libpixmap.la*     libthinice.so*

libcleanice.so*     liblighthouseblue.so*  libpixmap.so*     libwonderland.la*

libcrux-engine.so*  libmetal.la*           libredmond95.la*  libwonderland.so*

libflat.la*         libmetal.so*           libredmond95.so*  libxfce.la*

libflat.so*         libmist.so*            libthinice.la*    libxfce.so*

[root@localhost root]#

...so, which theme? Because if you install the Flat theme and do not install/compile the Flat Engine, it will not look right and usually just shows the theme colors.

If you download the themes (like from http://art.gnome.org ) and unzip them, you will be left with a folder containing all of the theme elements. Copy that folder (the whole thing) into your ~/.themes folder and then it will be accessible from within the Gnome Theme Manager.

As a side note, I have never gotten Icon themes to work by installing them with the Gnome Theme Manager, the only way I've gotten them to work is by unzipping them into the ~/.icons folder

Also, sometimes you think you have a theme and what you really have is a theme/engine combo. Look in the uncompressed dir for Makefiles and Configure files. If you see those, you need to as user in the top dir of the source tree;

./configure --prefix=/usr

make

<su to root>

make install

Even the one's i have engines for won't display. I figurered out though that the themes work under root but as a user all it displays are the galaxy buttons and scrollbars.

Oh yeah, by the way I'm tying to display the panther controls theme but when i downloaded it it didn't come with an engine. :cry:

I figurered out though that the themes work under root but as a user all it displays are the galaxy buttons and scrollbars.
OK, this has worked for some and not others. As a user remove mandrakegalaxy from running and do

gnome-session-save

Details here;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...=mandrakegalaxy

let us know......

panther?....where?....I don't see it at freshmeat or art.gnome. Not all themes require their own engine. Most use other engines. In other words, it starts with a new theme & engine that someone creates, then others make themes to work with the same engine.

Open a console and do this:

cd

mkdir oldgtkstuff/

mv .gtkrc* oldgtkstuff/

Then log out of Gnome and back in. See if it helps. If it does, you can delete the directory oldgtkstuff/. If not, do this in a console:

cd

mv oldgtkstuff/* ./

rmdir oldgtkstuff/

panther?....where?....I don't see it at freshmeat or art.gnome. Not all themes require their own engine. Most use other engines. In other words, it starts with a new theme & engine that someone creates, then others make themes to work with the same engine.

http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2/471.php

THANK YOUOOOOO DOLSON!!!:cheeky: It worked it reaLLYY WORRRKED!!! After all those days of :banghead: it finally worked thank you, thank you so much for all of your replies. :headbang::headbang: :mystismiles: :mystismiles: :mystilol: :mystilol:

PS: ya'll probably think I'm :screwy: don't ya.