OpenOffice requires JRE [solved]

neddie

Is there any way to stop OpenOffice Calc complaining about a missing JRE?

When I try to run a macro it gives this error message every time, "please install a java runtime", even though I've got Sun's 1.6 JRE installed (java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.06-2mdv2008.1).

So I go into Tools-Options and disable the "use java" box (cos I guess it doesn't need it), and all that does is replace the error message with a "you've disabled the java runtime, do you wish to enable it?" error message. :huh:

So I re-enable the "use java" box, but the list to select my java runtime is empty (it doesn't detect my 1.6 runtime for some reason). So I try to use the "Add" dialog to add the path to my java - but whatever I use (/usr/bin, /etc/alternatives, /usr/lib/jvm/, /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/, any of the bins, anything) it just says that the directory doesn't contain a JRE and I should choose another.

I guess it shouldn't be a big deal but there was a dialog recently which spat out about 10 of these error messages one after the other, and it would be kinda nice to get rid of them...

Edited by neddie

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode)
$ which java
/usr/bin/java
$ ls -l /usr/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2008-10-04 14:11 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java*

Yes, mine is also a link:

/etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java*

But as I said I've tried every combination I can think of, including /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/, /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun, /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin, /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun/jre/, /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun/jre/bin and so on and so on.

It doesn't let me select the executable, just the folder. And each time it tells me that the folder I've selected doesn't contain a JRE...

I'm just taking a look on my machine now, and I noticed that also it won't work for me, and I'm using Ubuntu. I'm just trying something, and I think it might do with installing openoffice.org2-java-common package, which pulled in a load of dependencies for me. Might be worth checking if you have a similar equivalent package under Mandriva. If not, I'll post what I did later, and how OpenOffice looks once it's finally working how it should be.

urpmf --name openoffice | grep -i java

and see if it lists the openoffice.org2-java-common package, or something named equivalently under Mandriva.

EDIT:

My google search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

shows this:

openoffice.org-java-common

might be the equivalent filename under Mandriva for you to install.

Do you have anything displayed under Tools, Options, Java? The path for it should be:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre

or something similar in format to what I have. Originally I had nothing in the list, but installing that openoffice-java-common package populated this list with my openjdk entry. You could now try adding it manually, using a similar path like I have - but you might have to replace java-6-openjdk with what your version has (since mine is Ubuntu).

I did not have to go to such straits, because the Sun JRE package in ArchLinux is monolithic (single package, no splits). This pretty much applies for almost all official Arch packages (in compliancy with the KISS philosophy of the distro).

In practice, this means you'll have to download+install more megabytes, and install by default devel packages you will probably never use, but since I am on (slow) ADSL I don't care that much about it...