Gentoo from CDs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Gentoo order has been packaged and will ship today. Thanks for your patience! Our store has become much more popular than we anticipated and we're rushing to catch up with the demand for Gentoo CDs. The CDs you receive will be the most up-to-date available as of today and will contain any interim release bug-fixes and documentation updates. We sincerly appreciate your support and thank you for supporting Gentoo.

US Orders will be shipped via first-class mail and shipping time is typically

3-4 business days. Outside-US orders will be shipped via Air Mail and shipping time is approximately 7 business days for these orders.

Thank you again for your support and patience.

That was on the 20th of this month (September), so I'll have to wait and see. I'm sure a quick emerge will bring me up to date, should I be a bit behind?

Your Gentoo order has been packaged and will ship today. Thanks for your patience! Our store has become much more popular than we anticipated and we're rushing to catch up with the demand for Gentoo CDs. The CDs you receive will be the most up-to-date available as of today and will contain any interim release bug-fixes and documentation updates. We sincerly appreciate your support and thank you for supporting Gentoo.

US Orders will be shipped via first-class mail and shipping time is typically

3-4 business days. Outside-US orders will be shipped via Air Mail and shipping time is approximately 7 business days for these orders.

Thank you again for your support and patience.

That was on the 20th of this month (September), so I'll have to wait and see. I'm sure a quick emerge will bring me up to date, should I be a bit behind?

This is true, except the first release with GRP (if you go that route) was a bit broken on several apps.

Well, I guess I shall wait and see. I'm sure that if Gentoo was two days away from the update, and in the process of printing new cds, they would not be so silly as to provide customers with the old release?

Pardon me ignorance, but what is GRP?

That's pretty cool. I will have to find out more about GRP, it makes more sense to me. Can you emerge these binary packages, or is it a seperate system?

I've never used Gentoo, so I'm sure I'll have lots of stupid questions until I get my hands dirty...

Basically, when you copy the binary packages over from CD2, (you will see the instrucions on how and were to do that) instead of "emerge kde" you would do "emerge -k kde". The -k will look for binary packages in the dir it's called to point to. It's pretty simple, just add the -k and your good to go! :wink:

That sounds awesome, the tediousness of compiling was one of my main concerns with Gentoo.

I'm presuming that the prebuilt binaries are also available for download?

I'm going to have to go with NO, but that is without proof! :wink:

Here's the problem I see with that once your system is built. If you do an "emerge sync" to get the portage db up2date, there will be newer packages out there. For example, on the install cd's the gentoo-sources(one of there kernels) is 2.4.20-gentoo-r6, the latest is gentoo-sources-r7 so when you do an emerge sync the old binary is lost. Not really lost, but if you did emerge -k gentoo-sources it's going to want to grab (download & compile)the r7 version since your db show's that as the latest stabe kernel. Same with say kde-3.1.3 for ex. when they release 3.1.4 as stable, same thing will happen. Atleast you can get a full desktop/server up once and compile while your doing other things.

Hope that makes sense? :roll:

Another side note on that, if you go with the GRP method. During the initial install, while your following the install docs, do not do an "emerge sync" or you will run into the problem I badly explained above. Which will cause kde or gnome or something else to want to download to the latest and compile it and then the whole binary GRP install is out the window! 8)

Really, it all comes down to what you make your self do.  You could even learn linux on "Lindows" if you really wanted to.

Yup. You could learn Linux on Windows, if you really wanted to as well.

cygwin :cheeky:

Yes. Did you notice the link in my post? ;)

---

SoulSe, Gentoo isn't hard. Just read the documentation. It takes you through it step by step. My grandma could install it, if she knew what a computer was.