burner not detected

derxen

Hi everyone,

I bought a phillips 5224 cd-rw. I took out my cd-rom and installed the cd-rw in its place as hdb. It was detected, although not straight away I seem to remember, and after fiddling about with the fstab and lilo.conf everything worked perfectly. Then I got reckless and installed the cd-rom again, as hdb, and moved the cd-rw to hdc. I switched the jumper to master. I changed the lilo.conf and the fstab accordingly. Then I checked harddrake to see whether it was detected correctly, and it wasn't: its name was garbled, and it wasn't recognized as a burner. Sure enough, it doesn't burn. I've tried a lot of things, mainly changes to the fstab, and I've checked the connections and cables, but no luck. It only got worse: for a while it was 'detected' as a tape device, now it's not detected at all anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't know what to try anymore.

derxen

Make sure you have done the basics correctly. The reader is primary slave and the burner is secondary master. Double check the settings of the other drives on the channel.

What program do you use to burn? I use k3b, and I emulate scsi in lilo or grub for both drives.

append="hdb=scsi-ide hdc=scsi-ide whteverelse isthere

Does the bios read the drive? Ifit doesn't, then there is a jumper set wrong.

Thanks for that. I have the reader as primary slave and the burner as secondary master, and the lilo set as you indicate. I just tried the BIOS, and sure enough: it gives 'not installed'. So are you saying I should check the jumper on the cd-rw again? There is no jumper to set on the mobo.

derxen

Basically you have to resolve the bios issues before you even go to linux. Each device (hard drive/cdrom/cdburner) has 3 settings for slave/master/cable select. Each device's documentation will state how to to do the setting. They are not all the same standard so don't make any assumptions. Once you have that squared away and the bios lists everything, then make sure linux is setup.

I just ordered a lite-on cd rw/dvdrom for ~55 bucks. Hopefully it will install :)

It was just a loose ide cable. It's one of those plugs that feels as if it's connected, but it isn't. Applied a bit more force, and now it's fine. What suprises me is that with a loose cable, there can still be some detection. You would think that it's an all or nothing kind of thing, not that you get the kind of garbled detection that I got.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I hadn't realised you must use the BIOS for basic detection.

And now for some serious burning.

derxen