mindi / mondo boot CD

kmack

Just installed mindi and mondo backup software. Instructions are to test the mindi rescue cd. I booted with the cd and get a prompt that is just

boot:

Tried typing <linux> w/ no brackets of course and no luck. Tried lang=us like Knoppix uses no luck either. I cannot seem to find any instructions in the docs or online concerning how to proceed at the boot: line.

Can someone please point me to a man page or instructions on how this works? TIA!

Thanks Paul! That didn't work, but got me trying more things.

If I type <expert> at the prompt it boots. Pretty cryptic and limited from there, but it does boot!

I'd still like to find some instructions or documentation on this as I thought it was going to load via lilo but couldn't find out how. :?

EDIT: Just found this in my mindi.log:

Cannot run lilo on /tmp/mindilinux/5229/mountpoint.5229

Please upgrade/downgrade your version of LILO. It has a bug.

Back to my drawing board... :!:

Just installed mindi and mondo backup software.  Instructions are to test the mindi rescue cd. I booted with the cd and get a prompt that is just
boot:

Tried typing <linux> w/ no brackets of course and no luck. Tried lang=us like Knoppix uses no luck either. I cannot seem to find any instructions in the docs or online concerning how to proceed at the boot: line.

Can someone please point me to a man page or instructions on how this works? TIA!

Check out the docs, which can be found as a pdf file at http://www.chem.vu.nl/~stol/Mondo-Rescue-M...Linux-HOWTO.pdf .

In Chapter 2 - Quick Start it says:

/quote Reboot your system with the created Mindi CD, with the BIOS set to do boot from CD. If the result is a command line in 'Expert' mode, your system checks out. Remove the CD and reboot your system /unquote

Hope that helps

Daveleh: Thanks for your thought and effort to help!

Yes, I have that HOW TO file but it doesn't tell me what to do at the prompt. Since on boot it just says:

boot:

I am a bit baffled. :roll:

I think the problem is that it is booting isolinux instead of going through lilo. My install didn't like the version of lilo I have installed. (see above) Still scratching my head a bit... :screwy:

Daveleh: Thanks for your thought and effort to help!

Yes, I have that HOW TO file but it doesn't tell me what to do at the prompt.  Since on boot it just says: 

boot:

I am a bit baffled. :roll: 

If I remember correctly from when I first started using Mondrescue that was all I did, created the Mindi disk, rebooted, got the boot: prompt which proved Mindi worked, then removed the CD, rebooted and proceeded to backup my system.

Once this was completed I rebooted with my backup CD, typed compare at the boot: prompt and waited for the two systems, my original and the backup, to be checked against each other. The docs tell you that some files won't match but you can check those out in a logfile.

HTH

OK!  Thanks again!  That is what I figured, but I didn't like the fact that the mindi CD wasn't booting into lilo.  Guess it doesn't like the mdk version or something.

I'll try going on with mondo and see how it goes.

Blessings to you!

I don't think it's supposed to, but I may be wrong. I thought it was only supposed to give a command prompt. According to the PDF docs:

/quote

Mindi Linux creates a set of boot/root floppy disk images that will let you perform basic system maintenance on your Linux distro. The principle virtues of Mindi's boot disks are the fact that they contain your kernel, modules, tools and libraries.

/unquote