basesystem package

Guest controler

Guest controler

Checked the checksums, Got to install, I get past the packages page , install starts , gets to FreeBDS and I get an error that it failed and askes if I want to continue. I click yes and the install freezes. :(

just can't seem to get it linux to work.

One thing I noticed is 9.1 selects workstation and internt as packages, also selects Gnome and KDS as packages.

Anyway the default does not work for me on this system.

Guest controler

I have mandrake 9.1 installed now. I had to try install and let it freeze then reboot and select upgrade.

Now I have it installed but for some reason I get a Localhost login at bootup.

I have no clue what the username password is.

con

Guest controler

Isn't anyone going to tell me why My first install fails , then try again after reboot and select Upgrade and it works but it asks for a username password?

And what are they suppose to be?

I tell ya I never ever had this much trouble with Windows and I have buitl computers since the early 80's

con

Um, if your first install failed; then you selected upgrade, chances are that you didn't get to set up a user or password for either a regular user or for root. Either way, I have no clue why one failed and the other worked; or what your username would be. That is something that should be set up during the initial install.

I think one common problem with the insstall is you should use the safest options.

Partly it seems that the install kernel (which is a very cut down real one) has problems with acpi and apic.

You should choose the option's (F1) and then type linux noacpi apic=off

see (http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ighlight=noacpi)

Still, I tend to choose a minimal install first. After you can update the packages and add more. That way you start off with the bug fixes :D..

Its damned annoying but ... basically once its installed it works a dream... you'd think Mandrake would pay more attention to the installer but ???

The same goes for the upfgrade option, this isn't usually very good and a clean install is better ...