Mandriva and windows xp

Bower

I am pretty new to this and what I need to do is share my printer on my Linux box with an xp machine. I have a wireless dsl modem and both are on the Internet already. The xp machine is wireless and my Linux box is ethernet wired but also has a wireless card as well. I have no clue how to do this and am hoping someone can help. thank you. Bower

Google for mandriva+Cups should help or look for linux how-to on CUPS. Here is what I recall from having gone through this process recently (new laptop in the house):

The Mandriva Control Center should be able to help you through. Fire it up, go to hardware, configure printing and get your printer installed. Steps are (usually) pretty self explanatory. Make sure that you share this printer with others on the network. This will install your printer using CUPS (Common Unix Printing System). Then fire up your web browser and point it to http://127.0.0.1:631. This webpage (which your own PC shows you) shows you stuff you can set (you will need your root password to make changes). Click on 'printers' to see the installed printer(s). take note of the printer name CUPS has given to your printer -- usually an abbreviated form of the real name (my HP Laserjet 1010 is called HPLasJet1010). Test it from your (linux) PC to see whether it works. If so, proceed to step 2: Making this accessible to other PC's -- your (default) firewall on linux will block access to the printer.

Stay in MCC, go to security and fire up the personal firewall applet. Ensure that you allow 'the internet' to access your printer via CUPS. Whilst on the linux box, run the command ifconfig as root. Note down the IP address (listed as 'inet addr' usually for eth0 if you only have 1 network card). typically this address is of the form 192.168.x.x for home networks.

Thirdly, go to the XP-box, fire up control panel/printers, add a printer. Select network on the next page, then connect to printer on the internet (exact text may be different as I have a non-english XP; mine is teh last of 3 options). Type in the following as the location/name of the printer http://ipadress:631/printers/HPLasJet1010 in which ipadress is the ipadress you noted down in step 2 and HPLasJet1010 the name of the printer as CUPS showed it to you on your linux box. The standard Windows XP list of printer drivers comes up. Select your printer or use the 'browse' button to select drivers from install CD or file. Test the printer after install.

Ok i have been trying to get this right and have yet to get it. CUPS says the url for my printer is

hp:/usb/PSC_2170_Series?serial=#########.

I have tried

"http://ipadress:631/printers/hp:/usb/PSC_2170_Series?serial=#########"

"http://ipadress:631/printers/PSC_2170_Series?serial=#########"

as well as several other combinations with no luck. could you shed some light on this? Thank you.

Bower

Edited by Bower

You just need the name of the printer without the serial etc. When you set up the printer, you give it a name, so check the name or change it to be something more user-friendly. Then the url in Windows should work. Printing would go like this:

Windows XP --> Mandriva Machine --> Printer

Ok i fixed that and it still did not work so I checked on the linux box under configure your computer under security and firewall. I checked cups to connect to the Internet but it does not change the choice. every time you exit it clears that choice. i even did this and rebooted but it still clears this and will not allow cups to connect. any ideas?

ok now i turned the firewall off at the same screen that i was choosing cups at and the printer was found by the xp machine but it never printed and now i cant get the firewall to turn back on.

thanks so much,

Bower

Edited by Bower