Linux Won't Install

Guest x2x

Hello,

For some reason my Linux won't install...I have the three CD's, and when I insert the first one it comes up with the Mandrake Linux window. When I click "Install Mandrake Linux" it says that I have to reboot, and by pressing OK it'll reboot and install Mandrake Linux. I press ok, my computer reboots, nothing happens. Can anyone help?

Welcome to Mandrakeusers.org!

I'm not sure what you are doing, so here is the process.

1) Make sure your computer will boot from cd. Usually an adjustment in the bios

2) Put the first cd in and boot your computer from it. It will load an installation program

3) the following steps really depend on what you have in your system. So, would you post which version of windex you have?

Welcome to the board with all the answers,

Is your computer's BIOs set to boot from the CD drive? Here's a good step by step instruction to install:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install.html

Another good idea at this point is to check the md5sum... especially if you downloaded the ISO images.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=32853#32853

Different BIOSes have different options. There should be a section called 'Boot config' or something like that. If you go to that section, you should see something like:

FLOPPY

ATAPI/IDE CDROM

IDE HD (may have more than one HD listed if you do)

You can change the order of these. That's the order mine is in. If yours has the HD before the CDROM, that's why nothing happens.

Yes, linux will make new partitions. Windex is no doubt hda1, but the boot loader must be located at the mbr (master boot record) of hda. Please tell me precisely what happens when you boot.