backup data to other PC using eth0

JeroenM

Hi,

I'v got two PCs, one running Mdk 9.2cooker and the other one Mdk 8.0.

Now I want to backup the 8.0 PC. I have no CD-writer, just two PCs with working eth0-cards.

This is the question:

1) how do I connect them together? I have a cross cable but which settings do I need? In this topic (http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=2805&highlight=transfer+data) it is suggested to make the same subnet (huh?) and two IP-adresses (fixed ones). I think I might be able to do this but if I can do so ...

2) ... then what? How do I get to see the HD from PC1 on PC2? Can I just drag&drop in konqueror?

anyone any ideas?

thanks

JEroen

If those 2 pcs have eth0 then they should already have IPs (check with ifconfig as root). Now on the 9.2cooker computer, install SSHD (type 'urpmi ssh-server') and from the 8.0 computer just connect to it: in a console type 'sftp 9.2cookerIP'. Enter your username and password on the 9.2cooker machine and bammm... you are logged in. Now this is just like an FTP session with GET and PUT. If you are using KDE you can even type 'fish://9.2cookerIP' in Konqueror and you should be promted for your username and password on the 9.2cooker machine.

As simple as that.. and secured.

MOttS

hmmm, I don't think so.

I get dynamic IP after logging into the university-network and I have only 1 network connection so I have to switch the network cable to get to a LAN.

but part of it I can use: the sftp stuff. although that's overkill for a crossed cable connection.

couldn't I just type in IP8.0 in konq and drag-n-drop?

I'll just try it.

So that didn't work

by default your going to port 80 which is http

there are lots of ways to do it

The easiest is just take the disk out and stick it as a slave.

personally once you have networked them (and can ping) i'd export the root dir / as nfs

then just mount it

you can export using ip

sorry im off out but man exportfs

then mount with mount ip:/ /mnt/oldpc

OK.

I could change the IPs to a fixed adress, connect the cable and ping. yeay!!

and there it ended.

I had to install a ftp server or sshd for which I needed internet to get the packages. re-configuring the 9.2 PC failed over and over so I deceided to drop the 9.2, install 9.1 which should work. not. :?

bloody crappy eth0 card. I think it's broken due to the passed heat wave. that's when it started acting weird.