financial software - MoneyDance - anybody used it yet ??

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Just read a review of it in the new Linux Format mag. It sounds like something I would like. I used quicken a few years ago, but I probably won't use it again since they don't care about linux. I used gnucash for a couple of months about a year ago, but I didn't like the way it cluttered up your machine with files.

I think I'll try out the MoneyDance one and see what its like.

Just read a review of it in the new Linux Format mag.  It sounds like something I would like.  I used quicken a few years ago, but I probably won't use it again since they don't care about linux.  I used gnucash for a couple of months about a year ago, but I didn't like the way it cluttered up your machine with files.

I think I'll try out the MoneyDance one and see what its like.

I use Moneydance myself and find it more than adequate for my home needs.

Download the trial version from www.moneydance.com , play around with it using test or partial real data and then if you like it purchase the activation code. The trial version is the full version restricted to , I think, 100 entries.

If you get stuck subscribe to their mailing list and just ask, the developer Sean Reilly regularly make an appearance so questions can be posed to him.

HTH

Guest FenestraeNunquam
All those files added by GnuCash are only logfiles. You can delete them all.

yeah, I know. I used gnucash for about 3 months back in early 2002, and after I realized those dozens of files were old log files, I just deleted them. I was just saying that I didn't really care for it. Also, I don't think gnucash lets you password protect your financial file, but I'm not sure.

I use Moneydance myself and find it more than adequate for my home needs. 

thanks dave, guess I'll try the trial version. I don't need a full-blown version like Quicken, although I like Quicken, it does more than I need.

While doing a search for something else I came across this post http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?p=51089#51089 :oops: Sorry for not answering before. I try to read all the posts but sometimes it's too many to keep up with.

If you're still interested the reason I was disappointed with Kapital is because of it's limited features and the bugs! I only purchased it because of a promise to come out with a free upgrade version in February 2003 (ha!). Still waiting on that one. By limited features I mean that there is no function for exporting files, printing the register or even copying it. The biggest problem though is the reconcile feature. It doesn't pick up the ending balance from the previous statement, it picks up the actual ending balance in your register. So in order to balance I would have to create a false entry to make up the difference and then delete it when it was through. Not fun! I was so disappointed that I emailed Kapital and asked for a refund because of their failure to live up to their promise. They never even responded. :roll:

About two years ago I went looking for some good Linux financial software. I tried CBB (Check Book Balancer), a very limited, outdated program, Money Dance which from the new home page has obviously come a long way and finally went back to GnuCash. I've gotten used to it but I think double-entry bookkeeping is overkill. That's probably more than you wanted to know. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think gnucash lets you password protect your financial file
What for? I may be a little offtopic here, but I just want to point out that Linux is not Windows.

Why would you want application-level data protection, when there's all you need at the filesystem-level?

And if that's not enough, you can encrypt the file with GnuPG, and launch GnuCash with a launcher like this:

#!/bin/bash

# decrypt the files

# run GnuCash

gnucash

# delete log files

# re-encrypt the files

Yves.

so the root user can't access your financial information maybe?
If this situation can occur (I am root at home), or if you fear someone may break into your home (and then possibly into your computer by booting runlevel 1) while you're away, then this is when you can use GnuPG, which is the most secure you'll get.

You can even put your encryption key on a (couple of (to be safe)) floppy, and take it away with you when you're absent, so that the script (see previous post) will fail if the floppy is not in the drive! Exactly like a real key.

Besides, this solution can be used for any file/folder for any application.

Yves.

I'm quite interested in this as I'll be starting a new business soon and would really like to be able to do my accounts in Linux. Which packages do people who run their own businesses around here use?

Is it possible to save things in formats that can be viewed by quicken/ MS money etc for passing on to accountants?