Will MSN no longer be compatible with open-source apps?

emh

Starting from TODAY I keep getting this message from messenger@microsoft.com :

[19:07:01] .NET Messenger Service says:

Votre version de Messenger nécessite une mise à jour de sécurité immédiate. Visitez le site http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx?mkt=fr pour effectuer la mise à jour.

This basically say "You Messenger version is outdated. Please visit our site to upgrade". WOW! The open source community have to find a work around because we will not be able to connect soon!

MOttS

What's the deal after that, will any open source chat stuff work???

Basically, they're stating that they're not sure at this point if GAIM will work with MSN after Oct 15th, not because they can't use the protocol, but because they don't know a way around the license requirements.

I think we already exhausted this topic in the other thread.

You can always still use the ICQ or AIM protocols, and encourage your friends and family to do the same.

I'm sure that the Open Source World will find a work around, but for now, other protocols are the answer.

My problem is that I have family who are not very 'into' computers and only know how to use MSN, the other problem is with friends who do not have the privileges required to install anything else on their computers at work.

....shit, I'll miss them :P

MS didn't exactly make it easy to write third party clients in the first place, but they still appeared. Projects like GAIM managed it once, so I don't see why they won't do it again. Chances are it'll take a while, and it'll take even longer for all the features to implemented.

If memory serves MS isn't they only one to use this tactic. Did AOL make changes to its protocol to stop MSN clients being able to messenge AOL users?

I think we already exhausted this topic in the other thread

I agree .... looks like its time to change your family.... or part-ex.

Wanted: new family, must be semi-computer literate and not dependent on M$. In return, one partly, but lightly used loving family and a years subscription to MSN.