What distro next..............

Ok I'm going to try a new distro soon. I aim to install debian sometime. But slackware interests me. THis will most likely be my main distro

So here it is:

1) Debian

or

2) Slackware

I'm going to download an ISO for one of these (does slack have ISOs?) on the 29-31 of August.

Which one. Is Gentoo an option. No. Not Gentoo, i don't have a whole week. I'm leaning towards Debian because of apt.

James

I've personally given up doing the distro surf. I always end up back at mandrake, so why leave I guess? :)

Wait - haven't you already tried gentoo? I'd say debian. I personally like gentoo and keep a partition for it, but you know <shrug> mdk does it all.

Slackware does have ISO's and I liked it. My sound didn't work though when I last tried it (v8.0? 8.1) so I should try again...

You might try the newest beehive... (maybe Libranet?) or fiddle with devil-linux or gibraltar to make yourself an asset in the business market when you're eventually looking for a job...

Are you going to be compiling a lot? If yes, might try Slack. It's probably a bit more friendly in this area, to use checkinstall and others that are a bit hard to find for debian (can't just apt-get install checkinstall with normal sources). Apt-get has the ability (haven't tried it) to download>compile>install a source pkg though. Kinda like having rpmbuild --rebuild built into urpmi :P ...ain't that cool 8) but like I said I haven't tried it.....Yet :wink: Slack is setup and ready to roll for compiling tarballs, if that's what you want. Again, debian may be ok for this as well, but I haven't had to do it. Just have to apt-get install pkg_name :P

Deb also has a pkg called alien. Out of binary pkgs it can make .deb, .rpm, .tzg and I think others. I've used it to make .debs>.rpms and vice versa, and they work.

No I have never used Gentoo, i did an LFS though. I don't want to have to compile too much. Or at least anything big. I had to dedicate a day to installing X on my LFS. It took about 3-4 hours of the day to compile. I'm not even considering Gentoo, I can't afford to have my computer unusable for a week while compiling all my favourite packages (I am being realistic, my hardware is not new at all)

I like the sounds of apt-get too.

As DOlson says: Debian > *

Looks like Debian

James

Why?

No seriously there are lots of reasons to try different distro's and it depends what you wanna get out of it.

If your looking for a distro for grandma I'd suggest Lindows or Lycoris or maybe Xandros. BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE.

(cringe /me hinds under flame proof blanket) /me peek out

But honestly they all have something to offer.

You already have mandy so i'm not suggesting that ...

Slackware ... you already tried Gentoo right... like someone else said if your compiling or not.

Debian is the father of all the deb distro's and certainly worth a look. You get to learn a different methodology too.

Like the install/upgrade 'bug or feature?' which is Mandrake just doesn't happen. You install it once and then upgrade ... its a different concept.

However:

Why not be radical ... if you want experience then why not try a different OS.

Solaris is free (for the price of the CD and shipping) but its not pretty.

FreeBSD is another alternative. Its probably what I wanna try next.

Some parts are better than linux and some parts are worse. Its a different license etc. BUT it will give you a better global view of Linux.

Its like travelling ... A lot of people might not like several things in their own country. This is normal. Ive lived and worked all over the world and now I can actually see a lot of things I like in the UK that I never noticed before.

I'd say try FreeBSD ... then you'll appreciate Linux in a way you never did before. You can't really use Windows and Linux and have an objective opinion ... You need to experience another REAL OS.

I like lots of things in Solaris which I use at work but I can at least objectively compare the two.

Edits:

I also had a thought on this.

When you talk to Winblows attempters (how can you be a user if it doesn't work) you probably say linux does this, linux does that wheras 90% of the time you probably mean UNIX does this or that.

Looking at other flavours of UNIX and what is special or common is a good way to learn what Linux is and isn't.

Guest Phat Penguin

First off I want to thank everyone who has ever helped me with Mandrake - I have been running it since 8.0 - but I have opted for Slackware 9 ... now running perfectly with kernel 2.4.21, KDE 3.1.3 and all the goodies I had with Mandrake, wireless DSL connection, Xine for the vid's, MP3 player, Samba file shares etc etc .... but I am still running Mandrake 9.1 for the remote DSL end and will probably continue until its not supported anymore :)

Swaret for Slackware keeps the system up-to-date fetching all the current packages, patches etc ... from their current tree with a simple "swaret --up-all" command :)

I have the Gentoo Live CD's here but just haven't had the need/urge to give them a try since Slack has been on the box despite the strong urging of a friend who was a longtime Mandrake user prior to switching to Gentoo.

Thank you again Mandrake and all its users - its been a great couple of years but there comes a time to move on in search of a new challenge .............. at least at this end of the wireless connection. :)

Ok I took the Pepsi test and chose: Debian!

I've just installed it. And it rules. 2.4 kernel didn't work, so 2.2.20 it is.

Network card didn't work so no internet

No ext3 support, (where did I miss that) i can't see my mandy partition or home partition.

Yay!! It still rules!!

And I haven't ever used Gentoo. I doubt I will in the near future. I did an LFS. Not Gentoo

James

You both have picked great Distro's for your next challenge, I like both of them very much. Debian's true apt-get is awesome & no matter how much I tweak Gentoo, I've never seen it run faster than Slack. :wink:

Glad to see you chose Debian rcxau! Were in the same boat: no network, no sound for me, at least i have a 2.4 kernel but its a bf version and seems to be useless for compiling new drivers. ...feeling a bit lost here, but im not giving up... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D