linux server plus win2k workstation

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

This is what I want to do:

Machine #1: PIII 1Ghz, 256 RAM, 40-Gb H-D. I want to put mandrake 9.1 on this and make it a server for the other 2 computers in the room to connect to. This box is currently a win98 / mandrake 9.0 dual boot.

Machine #2: Athlon xp 2000+, 384 RAM, 40-Gb H-D, win2k which I use daily for college work, etc.

I am going to install 9.1 on machine 1 and partition over win98, so it will be 9.1 only. I'd like to make it a "server" if possible (just for me & my wife's own use - not a web server)

Right now my wife's machine, machine 1 & machine 2 are all connected to a router which is connected to a dsl modem. So all 3 boxes have broadband internet.

Is it possible to have my win2k box connected to my linux box INSTEAD of being connected directly to the router? Obviously I'm pretty clueless about home networking, at least now.

I don't need to be walked thru setting this all up right now. I'm just wondering if its possible. And would my win2k machine be more secure by going thru the linux box to get to the internet? And if machine 1 is set up as a server, can it still be used for normal computer work - like burning CDs, browsing the internet, gnucash finances, linux games, blah blah...?

thanks

Right now my wife's machine, machine 1 & machine 2 are all connected to a router which is connected to a dsl modem.  So all 3 boxes have broadband internet.

Hi FenestraeNunquam (what a name!)

Ok, you seems to worry a lot about security right? Well, your setup is already secure. Usually, routers have a built in firewall in the box. So pratically no one from the net can pass through it and adding a Linux box between you (machine 1 and 2) and the router will not make much differences. I suggest you to check your current setup by visiting those 2 websites. Do a portscan test and check if they find open ports... I'm sure you are already pretty secure.

http://scan.sygatetech.com/prequickscan.html

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

Now, if you want machine 1 to serve files then no big deal .. just put Mandrake on this machine and install/configure Samba. I guess you'll have to configure your router such that trafic is allowed within the network (at least ports 137 to 139 udp/tcp). From there you will only have to check the NetworkNeiboohood on your Win boxes and you should see the Mandrake box. It's that easy.

Hope this help

MOttS

Guest FenestraeNunquam
Hi FenestraeNunquam (what a name!)  

you all think I'm some kind of 3rd world foreigner, right? :lol:

Latin: fenestrae = windows, nunquam = never

I know, I know, I'm using win2k so I guess I'm a hypocrite, doesn't mean I like it though. :D

Motts: I'm not too worried about security. In fact, my isp provider swears I am safe from most stuff. Told me my router protects me, and also my isp firewalls all of their customers at the isp offices. Awhile back, I tried out the ShieldsUp! security check where the shieldsup site tries to get some info from your computer. Well I passed with flying colors. It reported the wrong IP address for me (maybe it was the routers IP or my isp providers IP I dont know).

I was just basically wondering if when I install mandrake 9.1 and I choose the "server" setup", if my win2k machine could communicate with it. Currently, I have machine 1 (win98) and machine 2 (win2k) networked in a "HOME" workgroup and I can get files off of machine 1 and onto machine 2. Thats what I have been doing since last night. Now that I have everything off machine 1 that I want to keep, I can REMOVE win98

(I hate win9x with a passion!!). And I was also wondering if when a mandrake install is done as a "server" install, if the machine could still be used as a "normal" mandrake box...?

thanks

I was just basically wondering if when I install mandrake 9.1 and I choose the "server" setup", if my win2k machine could communicate with it.

When you choose this option, it installs a bunch of servers (Apache, SSHD, NFS, etc etc etc) so I don't thing you should do this. The only thing you should select is KDE (or Gnome), the desktop environment. Then, when you have rebooted, install SAMBA from RpmDrake (the software manager accessible from the mandrake control center). This server is the only one you need to get your win2k and your mandrake box to communicate. Once installed, you'll have to configure it however ... like setting your workgroup and your shares for example. When you are there just start another post and I'll be glad to help you.

And I was also wondering if when a mandrake install is done as a "server" install, if the machine could still be used as a "normal" mandrake box...?

Of course! .. but still, I don't suggest your to select too much stuff... just the KDE package and leave the other choices empty. This way you'll have a fast and clear box on which you'll build a strong server. But KDE will still be usable, exactly if Samba wouldn't be installed.

MOttS

Awhile back, I tried out the ShieldsUp! security check where the shieldsup site tries to get some info from your computer.
not anymore :cry:

http://grc.com/x/IPAgentDiscontinued.htm

Port Authority's automatic transparent proxy avoidance and verification allows us to no longer suggest the use of our little "IP_Agent" utility for more reliable client IP resolution. Support for it has been removed from Port Authority. However, as a result of this, there are two situations that may cause trouble:

Well I passed with flying colors. It reported the wrong IP address for me (maybe it was the routers IP or my isp providers IP I dont know).
Unless you used the IP_Agent.exe a firewall/router will cause the ISP's/routers IP to be used instead of your machine. This is what I have always found to be funny with 98% of the "go here to scan your pc's security" post because how many linux's can run a .exe :lol: , and my IP was never read but rather my ISP's. BUT...this was a simple standalone desktop and now that I network with Win98 with ML9.1 as the gateway for ICS, I went to the link above

http://scan.sygatetech.com/prequickscan.html

and it DOES detect my IP, and I'm running shorewall. All is 'Blocked" (stealth) though :wink: I just wonder if my IP is picked up because of ICS.